Monday, August 11, 2008

Irish Doll

When I was a little girl I had some relatives who traveled extensively. They kindly remembered me while en route around the globe and brought home for me some delightful souvenirs. Most often, the gifts were dolls dressed in native costume from the countries they visited.

After a few years of collecting, my mother noticed I needed a way to display the collection that I was accumulating and she built for me a beautiful corner cabinet with glass doors. I still have the cabinet, but it no longer contains the dolls as they grew too numerous for it.

Thankfully, the dolls were rescued from living in storage boxes when we bought our house. The former owners had built a huge desk and hutch into a basement bedroom. The hutch shows the dolls nicely as they can be viewed from both sides.

When cleaning my office this past week I dusted off the dolls and had a chance to revisit the memories I associate with some of them.

This little lady was a gift from my relatives after a trip to Ireland. Unfortunately, I don't remember receiving her. She's been in my collection longer than I can remember. I do remember naming her Little Green Riding Hood.

2 comments:

Genuine Lustre said...

But of course - she could be none other than LGRH. I love the way her little feet are stuck in that stand.

My only collectors dolls are both Madame Alexander-- "Gretel from Sound of Music" from he early 70s, and MaryAnn-- a 1950s doll that comes with stick on spots and sunglasses for the measles, casts and crutches. Mine have been well played with and are not in collectible condition.

hakucho said...

I have a doll from Germany (from when I was little)...should dig her out sometime and find a place to display her....kind of a problem right now...maybe someday :)