Friday, August 03, 2007

Around the Home

Not long ago a kind lady from church gave me some unusual teapots. She had a friend who was a collector. This collector had hundreds of teapots and needed to get rid of some. Now my friend, similarly, needed to pare down to fit the space she has and so the teapots came to me.
I keep them on a high shelf along the lintel between my living room and dining room. At just shy of seven feet from the carpet, the shelf is limited in use. Above the shelf there is just under one foot of height before the crown moulding interrupts the space. For several years I had baskets of dried roses up there. Over time, they got so dusty (not something that is easy to clean!) that I got rid of them.

For a time the shelf was empty and I don't think anyone but me ever noticed! Now the teapots are at home there. I also am so pleased with the graceful curve of this little basket. Can you tell me for what purpose a little basket like this would be made? I like the way it holds dried roses. After I had to throw away all the roses I had dried in the first couple of years we lived here this basket went into hiding in the basement for a while. Then one day I came home to this surprise, and the next week a new collection of roses was started.

4 comments:

Scott said...

What's the basket for? Well..it's for holding roses! And other flowers or long things plucked from the garden. I don't know it's official name, but that's what it's for.

Rhonda Jean said...

I agree with scott. It's a traditional flower basket. My mum had one of these in the 50s and she often took it into the garden to hold flowers as she picked them.

Gina said...

I adore the teapots!

hakucho said...

Very pretty teapots and roses!