Friday, August 24, 2007

Toll Painting

My Dad's sister recently moved two-thirds of the way across the country from California to Tennessee. We are all so pleased to have my aunt and uncle living closer to us than ever before -- only and eight-hour drive away. Although it has not happened yet, I'm sure we will be able to visit more frequently than when they lived at any of their previous addresses.

Though my household has not been able to visit, my Dad did have the opportunity to spend some time with his sister this summer. His sister, the artist.

For as long as I can remember my aunt has been an artist. I remember relatives had some of her abstract paintings hanging on their walls since before my time. When I was still quite young, my Aunt gave my parents a beautiful painting which still graces their walls. Less abstract than her works that predate me, but still very modern.

I am so pleased to have been given two treasures painted by my aunt. For our wedding she gave us a painting of some ballet dancers. She let me choose the subject of the painting -- can you tell! I love their playful, joyous style.And here is a close up of one of the dancers.When Dad visited his sister this summer she sent home with him this beautiful foot stool for me. I love the colors and the way they fit in my living room. I enjoy how expert my aunt is at painting in this Bavarian folk style, and I am completely taken with the edelweiss on the side panels.
The cross beam.

5 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

The ballerinas are very Degas. Wildchild would love that painting!

Presbytera said...

Beautiful! What a kind gift, thoughtfully made.

hakucho said...

Truely works of art. i love them all.
Lovely heirlooms...you are so fortunate :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, these are gorgeous. It's so nice to have something made personally for you and with love.

Genuine Lustre said...

I love that stool. We saw so many wonderful examples of similar folk painting last year at the Norwegian American museum.