The Engineer is using this book as his reader this week. It is perfect for him, with some words being completely new vocabulary, some being quite easy, and some presenting a challenge. And I was charmed from the beginning, with the poem giving the book its title, "A Turtle and a Loon."
A TURTLE AND A LOON
A turtle and a loon,
in the early afternoon,
had a cookie and a prune
for tea.
"How delicious!" said the loon,
as she swallowed up the prune,
while the turtle held the spoon.
"Ah me.
There is nothing like a prune,
but I love a macaroon,
in the morning or at noon,"
said she.
Then she ate the macaroon,
and she sang a little tune,
while the turtle licked the spoon,
to see,
if a tiny bit of prune,
or a piece of macaroon,
should be sitting in the spoon,
maybe.
"There is nothing," sang the loon,
"half as pleasant as a prune,
in the early afternoon
for me.
Though I think I'd just as soon
have another macaroon,
if we'd only," said the loon,
"had three."
A turtle and a loon,
in the early afternoon,
had a cookie and a prune
for tea.
"How delicious!" said the loon,
as she swallowed up the prune,
while the turtle held the spoon.
"Ah me.
There is nothing like a prune,
but I love a macaroon,
in the morning or at noon,"
said she.
Then she ate the macaroon,
and she sang a little tune,
while the turtle licked the spoon,
to see,
if a tiny bit of prune,
or a piece of macaroon,
should be sitting in the spoon,
maybe.
"There is nothing," sang the loon,
"half as pleasant as a prune,
in the early afternoon
for me.
Though I think I'd just as soon
have another macaroon,
if we'd only," said the loon,
"had three."
Moral: Don't invite loons to tea.
Diane Redfield Massie
In other news...my construction worker was ill yesterday and did not come over. I hope he does not have what the Engineer has. We're fighting our third day of high fevers. Again. Just like he did at the beginning of the new year.
And 30 years ago we had the blizzard of '78. I lived in Van Wert, Ohio. I remember hearing instructions on the radio about tethering yourself to the door of your house if you had to go outdoors. Many people in the community would have had barn chores to do every day and the whiteouts were disorienting.
I recall hearing ads for tee shirt sales after it was over. They read "I survived the blizzard of '78.
But most impressive to a ten-year-old were the alps in the back yard. Well, not exactly the back yard,
(and not exactly the alps) but the church parking lot next to our garage. The snow plows had built up the most terrific snow mountains, nearly as tall as the garage. Picture the large snow piles in mall parking lots. Then picture them lining an entire edge of the parking lot. Take away all the traffic six days a week and add two kids and a dog. They served as a playground for the next several months.
And 30 years ago we had the blizzard of '78. I lived in Van Wert, Ohio. I remember hearing instructions on the radio about tethering yourself to the door of your house if you had to go outdoors. Many people in the community would have had barn chores to do every day and the whiteouts were disorienting.
I recall hearing ads for tee shirt sales after it was over. They read "I survived the blizzard of '78.
But most impressive to a ten-year-old were the alps in the back yard. Well, not exactly the back yard,
(and not exactly the alps) but the church parking lot next to our garage. The snow plows had built up the most terrific snow mountains, nearly as tall as the garage. Picture the large snow piles in mall parking lots. Then picture them lining an entire edge of the parking lot. Take away all the traffic six days a week and add two kids and a dog. They served as a playground for the next several months.


3 comments:
I remember the blizzard of '78 very well. I was living in Boston. My Dad was a motorman on the MBTA (rapid transit) and wasn't able to come home for days. I had to hold the fort down at home, Take care of my mother who had pneumonia and try and keep up with the shoveling. We had a little dog who refused to go on newspapers. I had to keep shoveling her a place to go or she would have disappeared in the snow. Couldn't drive at least for a week. There was a fire in a house on the next street over and the firetrucks couldn't get down the street. Very scary!!I'll never forget it. At that time my husband was in Belgium...so he missed it. Thanks for reminding me and I hope we never get one like that again :)
Have a nice "snow free" weekend...I hope :)
The blizzard of '78 is one of the strongest memories of my childhood. I remember my mother having to pull my sisters home from a neighbor's on a sled because she couldn't get the car out of our driveway.
Love the poem! Thanks for sharing! (We have some inside humor in our family having to do with macaroons, so we especially appreciated this.)
Post a Comment