Back in September of 2006 I thought I'd use an old favorite sweater as a pattern to fashion a new sweater. I have
some pictures here.
After carefully measuring and calculating how many stitches and rows I'd need in each of the strips joined to make this sweater, I started knitting away, a happy fool!
After completing three strips of the same counts I realized they were giving me three different measurements and I resolved to come back to the sweater when I had more experience and more gumption.
Last week I began ripping back and rewinding those separate strips. I began again, starting back and the measuring and calculating stage.
This time I decided it would be less risky to make the four front strips and the four back strips
together in two panels. It is less convenient to knit with four colors, but it makes me happier than I'd be if I had to abandon this project. So far I have the back panel completed and I have just begun work on the front.

I have tried something else new, and so far I am quite happy with it. I have added a hem to the sweater. In the past, all my work has had either a lace edging or ribbing at the hem. This is another finished look that I like. I need to thank the writers at
Pickin' and Throwin' for their wonderfully clear instructions and great photos. I first saw this technique there, and now I've finally had a chance to use it.

Along the way (about 13 inches along the way) I figured out that the way I wrap the yarn to change colors was not exactly right, as this photo also shows. At that time I was too invested to rip out the 13 inches. After the front is complete I'll see how I like the back again. If I cannot live with it I will have had the distance needed to rip it and begin again.
For now, the front panel is coming along, and I am doing the wraps correctly this time.

So far I have the pattern worked out up to the point where I need to shape the shoulders and neck front. I enjoy the knitting much more than the pencil and paper part, but it is good for me to learn how all the pieces need to fit together.
If it all works, I'd like to make another one going back to the original colors from the pattern sweater.
2 comments:
Looks great to me! Good for you in following through with your idea. Can't wait to see your sweater finished :)
What a great idea to do the panels together. You saved yourself a ton of sewing up!
Post a Comment