The fabric of the swatch looks and feels wonderful. This will be such a nice garment when it is done! But alas, I am at a loss as to what to do about my swatches. The gauge required is 13 stitches and 20 rows per 4-inch (10 cm) square.
I achieved exactly 13 stitches using a size 11 needle. But that only gave me 16 rows. A size 10 needle yields exactly 20 rows for me, but has me over shooting the stitches per inch, at 14. Going down to a size 9 needle gave me 19.5 rows and 14 stitches. How in the world do I get the same stitch-per-inch count on 9s and 10s? I have given up on solving that mystery, because it happens to me so frequently. In the past, I have always been able to find some needle that gives me the gauge I’m looking for.
I suppose I have conflicting desires of wanting this sweater to be perfect and to be easy; a great fit without having to do the math. Go ahead and laugh, you are laughing with me!
The part where I need advice is here. As it seems I’ll have to do some calculating, which way should I calculate? Should I work with the needles that give the number of stitches per inch needed and leave me guessing on the rows? Or is it easier, better, more convenient, (I’m not even sure what to ask) to go with the needle size that gives me the rows per inch required and make adjustments for the number of stitches per inch?
What have your experiences been with this dilemma?


7 comments:
Gee, I would ask the knitting expert at our church, Marie!
Marie, absolutely go with the needle that gives you stitch gauge, as you'll most likely be directed to knit the length by inches, rather than rows. It seems that you might want to shorten the length anyway (easy enough with a shorter row gauge), and shortening or lengthening the arms is easier than figuring the math if your stitch gauge is off. Then you'll have to recalculate the bind-offs at the armholes, neckline, the sleeve shaping, etc.
Math? Calculations? (putting fingers in ears . . ) I can't hear you!
Gee, all good questions!
And the reason why I haven't made many sweaters...besides being trapped in Sock World.
Hi,
I've always been told to just ignore the row gauge and it will be fine. And it has. The stitch gauge is what's important.
You are giving me a perfect example of why I don't like knitting sweaters. I never have very much luck with the figuring part.
Good luck sweetie...if anyone can do it you can :)
Math!?! Nobody ever told me that knitting involved math! I may be doomed before I really get started. sigh. I thought knitting was supposed to be...um...relaxing.
Post a Comment