Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Blocking Experiment

I'm not sure what I am doing when it comes to blocking. This is my first attempt, photographed, for the blogosphere to see. I have a foam rubber pad here covered with an old towel. I saturated the guinea pig/sleeve in cold water and gently squeezed enough water out so it would not leave a trail from the sink to my work space. I smoothed but did not stretch the fabric and pinned it in place. Now it is nearly dry. Maybe by tonight I can take this sleeve off and proceed with the front or back piece.

As I understand it, blocking will make the final assembly of the sweater easier. I'm happy to hear that! And I hope to find it is true. I have never worked with this type on neck band before. It was the final piece of the front section and it joins at the back of the neck, attached to the back. Finally, the last sleeve is about one third complete. Maybe by the time it is done I'll have the other pieces blocked.

Any hints or corrections are appreciated!

2 comments:

Gina said...

I am terrible with blocking, as I fear that I will completely alter the size and shape of the garment. I've blocked prior to and post-seaming. Neither makes a difference in my dread of the process.

Leftovers at your house are tasty-sounding. I'm craving salmon!

Rick said...

Oops, I saw the title of your post, and thought it was about the Cleveland Browns.