Wednesday, December 06, 2006

St. Nicklaus Day

The children put their shoes by the fireplace before bedtime last night. And this morning here is what they found. I forgot to take the photo before one of the oranges was already cut up for my four year old to eat!By the time I came downstairs some of the chocolates had mysteriously disappeared too.

Last night I got the call from my library that these books were in, so we will read them later today. My daughter is familiar with the story, but my son (who has never attended Deutsche Schule) is not. I got up long after the children this morning. Last night was a late and unpleasant one as I learned my mother-in-law, while traveling to her mother-in-law's deathbed and funeral in Florida, had broken a bone in her foot. At this point, my in-laws still do not know when they will be coming home again. Your prayers for them are coveted. I fervently hope she will not need surgery to repair this break.

The monitor in my bedroom brought sounds of the children playing/arguing around 6:30 this morning, but I knew they were safe and somewhat happy, and I had been up so late last night that I rolled over and slept another hour. Breakfast could wait when they had chocolates to enjoy, right?

In between phone calls with the Quipper in south Florida, my in-laws in north Florida and my brother-in-law in Southern California I made some knitting progress. This is the back panel of the sweater. In about 8 more rows I'll have the decreases where the sleeves will attach. The front panel has the same design as the back, but in the front I will try to make the yarn overs at the bottom of the center diamond a little smaller.

12 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Wenn ich schlaf', dann träume ich: jetzt bringt Niklaus was für mich!
Lustig, lustig, tralalalala. Bald ist Niklausabend da. Bald ist Niklausabend da.

KrazyinBrooklyn said...

WHAT?!? Can you type that in English.

Anonymous said...

We celebrate St Nicholas day too...but not traditionally. The sweater is looking lovely. Good job!

Marie N. said...

Artist's Translation:

When I sleep, then I dream,
Now brings Nicklaus what for me!

Merry, merry, tra la la la. Soon St. Nicklaus day is here. St. Nicklaus day is here.

Gina said...

The yarn is so pretty. Do I see subtle striping? The detailing is divine.

Marie N. said...

Hi Gina,

The yarn is complex! It has a black and silver core and the loft is shaded in tan, brown, rust, auburn, golden yellow and a funky brownish green. Now that I read that, I must say it looks nicer than it sounds!!!

I'm curious to see how the shades will lie on the sleeves with the rows being shorter there compared to the body.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Wunderbar, Fräulein N.!

Anonymous said...

MarieN!

St. Nicklaus was bald?

Marie N. said...

Hi Scottius,
Hey -- I'm not the illustrator of the book! I dunno where they got their images. Maybe they are trying to show his as a wise man?

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Scottius!

Spricht der Afen kein Deutsch?

Anonymous said...

That sweater is going to be beautiful! Nice work.

Anonymous said...

MarieN!

Barb said "Spricht der Afen kein Deutsch?"

Frau Barb- An jedem Geruecht ist ein kleines bisschen Wahrheit.