Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Butter

When I was in fifth grade (eleven years old) I went to camp with the fifth and sixth graders from my school. I don't remember very much from the trip...

...singing silly songs

the camp counselors called the drink "bug juice" though it tasted like fruit punch from concentrate to me

a night hike

chewing wintergreen life savers with our mouths open to watch the sparks in each other's mouths.

and making butter.

I liked the last three memories much better than the first two! I still enjoy night walks although there is not much opportunity for me to hike through the woods around here.

My experience with the lifesavers paid off when last year the Artist's chemistry book contained an experiment involving making the life savers spark in the dark.

And over the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays I like to make my own butter for the dinner roles. This year both kids got to help me.

I poured one cup of heavy cream into a jar. Then everyone took turns shaking the jar. The Quipper did shake the jar before he left for work, but first he teased us all by holding the jar still and shaking his body while the kids laughed and I fumbled for the camera. He declined to reenact his little dance on film! Next, when the butter has formed, I drain the buttermilk into a glass (to sip later) and use a rubber spatula to press all the milk from the butter fat. Then I put the soft butter into a dish to chill. Others might add salt at this time, but I prefer to leave it sweet. As soon as it has chilled enough not to suffer any finger gouges when I clumsily try to wrap the dish in plastic, I go ahead and cover it. I don't want it to absorb any odors or flavors from whatever it might live next to in the refrigerator until Christmas! It tastes so good on warm home-baked bread.

6 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Looks like fun for all of you! The Scientist has made butter too, at a Girl Scout overnight event. Come to think of it, I did the same wintergreen-Life Savers-sparks thing at a GS overnight event!

Rick said...

Shake, shake, shake
Shake, shake, shake
Shake your butter
Shake your butter

Susan said...

Marie, you saved me the trouble of looking it up. I've got too much cream in the fridge, and I've been meaning to make butter. Should've done it last night when we had company and a bunch of us were sitting around the living room talking and laughing. We could've shared the shaking ... and your hubby's song.

Gina said...

I may have to make some butter of my own. How sad that I cannot eat bread!

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Quipper, shouldn't that be:
Shake your buttah?

Marie N. said...

Hi Gina! It is good on steamed fresh veggies too ;-)