Monday, December 18, 2006

Stained Glass Windows

Yesterday I remembered to bring the camera to church! I was treated to the beautiful photos of stained glass church windows here at the Rebellious Pastor's Wife's blog, and I wanted to respond in kind.

Here are some photos of the two large windows at the north and south ends of the cross section through the nave. First is the sacrament window. Most of the area is floral, filigree and green panels. But this window differs from the other across the nave in the five panels. The bible and the font represent the sacraments of water and the Word. The center panel depicts a cross and a crown. The two remaining panels show Easter lilies. In the photo above, to the right of the clock, you can just see a glimpse of the smaller window. I forgot to get a photo of these-- drat! These are about 6-8 feet shorter and half as wide as the large windows. They contain all floral and filigree, no symbolic images, but they are quite pretty.

The next photo shows the same window at closer range. If I had to guess, I'd estimate the windows are 25-30 feet (7.6 - 9.1 meters) tall and 12-15 feet (3.6 - 4.5 meters) wide. I did not measure! On the other side of the church the panels illustrate the virtues. The anchor of hope is on the left. An anchor, a cross and a heart are on the right, representing faith, hope and love. Again, a cross and crown are in the middle, but a different cross and crown. And again, the Easter lilies fill the other two spaces. An outside view of the building can be found here. And another glimpse of the smaller windows here.

Last I have a poor quality photo of the Trinitarian window above the alter.
It got quite distorted with the zoom. I believe this window is newer, dating to the early 1950s when the school building attached to the church was constructed. Maybe one of my pastors will comment and tell me: Were the older windows (or their glass) imported from Germany, or were they made here in the USA by German immigrants? I have seen some other Lutheran churches in the Midwest USA with the similar green, floral, and filigree patterns.

6 comments:

Kirken said...

Wow! Those are beautiful windows! I'll have to show these pictures to DH when he comes up from studying. I've never seen such beautiful stained glass before.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to youuuuu! Fröliche Geburtstag, Frau N.!

Good pics of the windows. Very fortuitous, since I just saw pictures of a church with some of the elements, like the baptismal font and communion rail, that are very similar to ours. Pictures courtesy of Mother Hubbard's Cupboard.

I honestly think the stained glass windows at Zion (also in downtown Cleveland) are just as beautiful, if not more so. I have some pics; I'll have to scan them.

BTW, in our house we say Faith, Hope and Charity. :)

Gina said...

The stained glass in churches is just so lovely and inspiring! Thank you for the lovely photos.

Amy said...

So gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the pictures :)

Anonymous said...

The windows look very art nouveau! Very beautiful, the windows in our curch were bombed out during the war, they were replaced by plain glass, such a shame.

RPW said...

These are very beautiful. It seems like they light up the whole church. Thank you so much for sharing them