For months the preparation went on. "I can't get a good design for Bottom," "I'm afraid I'll hit the wrong switches on the light board," "Puck runs around too fast for the spotlight." Smoother dialogs of poetry were coming to my ears in the newspaper room. No friends could watch rehearsal. I had to wait.
The production was fantastic, and lived up to all the excitement that had built months. I could half relate to these friends in the production. I had performed on stage too, but just dancing ballet at that point. I didn't have to talk -- thank goodness! that petrified me. I had not yet played the Ida personality that added a little acting and required character dancing. But costumes, footlights' glare, endless rehearsals, makeup, choreography (don't trip on the lights!), applause, curtain calls, cast parties, these I could relate to.
When the curtain went up opening night, I was living the night with my friends. A feeling I'll never forget.
Saturday night I was re-living the excitement all over again. My friend at Favorite Apron's son was in the spotlight, performing the lead in High School Musical.
That same feeling from the old days was there again. Not only did I enjoy the show, I enjoyed sharing in all the fun, the expectation and excitement of the theatre all over again. Congratulations cast, crew and musicians -- you did a great job! We thoroughly enjoyed our evening and we're so glad we came to see the show.The Artist has seen plays before, but I think this is the first time she has seen one where she knew a cast member. She was completely enthralled. Afterword, she enjoyed meeting the cast members and making good use of the Autographs Page in the back of her program.
Seeing High School Musical was the cap on a wonderful day. Earlier we enjoyed spending some time and sharing a meal at Favorite Apron's home (Thank you!). The Engineer was excited to see some cows--we think cows and frogs are his favorite animals.


3 comments:
My sisters were in Guys and Dolls in high school, so I still have large parts of it memorized, since they lived Guys and Dolls at home for weeks.
My niece was pursuing a career in theater production in another lifetime. :( She even got to meet George Sr. and Barbara Bush at a cast party while working a summer in Maine at a theater where a Bush daughter-in-law was acting.
The final performace was even better. The Coach Bolton and Mrs Darbus really hammed it up. I cried when it was all over. : (
So glad you came down!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll bet Sunday morning was rough at your house.
It sounds like a great time! I'm glad to hear that it went well. I'm a former musical theatre person myself.
Post a Comment