Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Garden Problem-Solving

Maybe I should have reconsidered my title today. Perhaps Garden Pest Control Ideas Needed would be more suitable. The deer have already been visiting my yet-unplanted vegetable plot this spring. Thankfully, the parsley clump and the two chive mounds are unmolested.

Over the weekend I turned over all the soil in the garden,
worked in some peat into the clay, arranged the stepping stones, and tossed some 30,000 sprouting acorns out of the area. Sunday morning there were fresh fawn prints deep in the newly turned soil. Now a second generation of deer have our yard as a regular spot on their nightly foraging routes.

The other chief culprits in my garden are rabbits and chipmunks. I need to find some kind of covering to keep the deer from jumping in and keep the little critters at bay. I'd hate for the deer to jump the wooden fence from my neighbor's driveway and then get stuck inside my garden.

I have no experience in this area. What do you use or what have you seen used to protect the plants from nibblers? What has not worked? Do you have any experience with, recommendations or advice about deer repellent products?

The series of burning bushes we planted as a hedge at the back border of our property have also been nibbled nearly to death. This was the year they were to approach four feet tall. We've readjusted expectations based on the deer damage. Hopefully they will all live and grow back to the two and one-half foot height.

6 comments:

Babette said...

May I say that your pests are much cuter than Seattle slugs?

Quite the martial Artist below!! Wow!

Kirken said...

Try ceyanne powder they say it works on squirels it might help with rabbits and chipmunks.

The deer...well that is a different story...i can't tell you to build a big fence because I have seen deer jump an 8 foot fence and I doubt you want to build something like that...maybe get a really big dog? ;-)

hakucho said...

Very cute critters! We gave up our vegetable garden...just couldn't compete with the woodchucks! We even got a trap and they were so smart that they sent their babies in to get the bait(carrots)and they wouldn't get caught!!
Those babies sure were cute :) No more garden for us :(

Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

I love the blog that you have. I was wondering if you would link my blog to yours and in return I would do the same for your blog. If you want to, my site name is American Legends and the URL is:

www.americanlegends.info

If you want to do this just go to my blog and in one of the comments just write your blog name and the URL and I will add it to my site.

Thanks,
David

Genuine Lustre said...

I was sure that Scott would have popped up here by now with his personal solution!

Gina said...

Indeed, those pests are cuter than Seattle slugs, but no less annoying. I think there are some specific plants that you can plant around your garden that will ward off deer, but I have no idea what they are. I'm some help...