Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Skillets, Pans and Wooden Spoons

I don't ever remember my mom seasoning her wooden kitchen utensils, our cast iron skillet, or in later years, any teflon-coated saute pans.

How are these to be seasoned?
I recently read the instructions that came with a hand-me-down cast iron wok. They talked about the method but left out the detail of what kind of oil to use. Perhaps it originally came with some oil, the way high-end purses sometimes come with a moisturizer to rub into the leather. (Don't ask about my low-end worn and peeling genuine vinyl purse!)

Last time I got new teflon saute pans the slip of paper inside instructed me to season it occasionally with oil too.

My wooden spoons don't especially need it. I think the business ends of the spoons get enough oils simply from being well used. My kitchen carving knife handles, utility knife handles, and salad serving pieces, on the other hand show lots of wear and I'd like to spruce them up a bit.

The first order of business there is to stop cleaning them in the dishwasher. But what else should I do? For the last couple of years I have taken to rubbing a little olive oil into the salad spoon and fork before I put them away. I suppose I started with those because I never ever put them in the dishwasher.

What do you use to season these various kitchen tools? Should I be using olive oil for all the these seasoning applications?

5 comments:

Kirken said...

I myself have wondered those exact same thoughts. No one has ever shown me and my mom had never done that. It is all a guess to me as to what to do. I can't wait to find out. :-)

Jane said...

I have several wonderful pieces of woodenware. The manufacturer suggests mineral oil. If they are already in rough condition from dishwasher, use very fine (400 grit) sandpaper or a green scotchbrite pad and then apply the mineral oil. I get mine from Williams Sonoma.

The cast-iron skillet can be seasoned with whatever fat you cook with. Bacon grease works *really* well. Vegetable oil did not seem to work so well.

Kim said...

I have a nice set of wooden spoons from Lehman's, they suggest using food-safe mineral oil. I purchased my oil from IKEA and I think any "kitchen" store would carry it.

I've been using shortening on my cast iron as the manufacturer recommended. I tried vegetable oil at first but it didn't work very well. The instruction also say not to use margarine or butter.

Gina said...

I can give no advice here. I've got a cutting board that is ready to split into five pieces!

Scott said...

Cast Iron: I use Crisco (plain white, not butter "flavored") for the main/first seasoning and for general overhaul.

If it is the first time, or a major overhaul, preheat the oven to 350, thoroughly clean the cookware with mild detergent and a stiff brush or pad. Once it's clean, towel it off so that it's completely dry. I usually put it on a low flame to make sure it's dry.

Next, melt and apply the Crisco evenly over all surfaces and in all grooves etc. Place the item upside down on an oven rack, with a cookie sheet below to catch the run-off.

Cook it for one hour, then turn the oven off, but leave the iron piece in there until it's cool. That's all there is to it. You can repeat the steps for a darker color and better non-stick properties.

You may have to re-season occasionally. Cooking acidic foods (like tomatoes) will wear down the seasoning. Just keep an eye on performance and appearance and re-season as needed.

To clean your cast iron after use, use water and a stiff brush or pad. For stuck things, I boil water in my pan. That eventually works whatever I burnt off the iron. Never put them in the dishwasher, and don't use soap on them. When clean, wipe a light coat of oil or shortening on them. Store them where there is free air circulation and don't cover.

Don't use teflon. It's recently been shown to be carcinogenic.