When the chicken had thawed enough to pry the pieces apart, I sliced the meat into small strips and set it to marinate in a bowl of canola and sesame oils, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and the last of the honey. Every hour or so I attentively stirred the mixture and watched the chicken take on a delectable golden color.
Last time I was at the grocery store (it has been a while, the cupboard is nearly bare) I picked up some bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and bean sprouts. I put these on my counter top so that when the time came to cook I would have them handy. I got a package of teriyaki lo mein from the cupboard and set some cornstarch in a little water to soak. That would thicken the sauce just before serving the meal.
When it was time to prepare the food, I used my extra sharp cleaver to chop the last of the green onions, some for the lo mein and some for the main dish. I made some fancy slices of celery and I quartered the last of the mushrooms to briefly simmer with the meat.
The glorious smell filled the kitchen and dining room and the hungry kids were gathering, checking to see if everyone had the appropriate silverware at the table.
The noodles were done, I just needed to thicken the sauce. I tossed the cornstarch over the dinner and
Fizz Fizz Bubble Bubble Fizz
The most awful smell filled the kitchen and dining room. At my cries of dismay, my hungry family gathered at the kitchen doorway to ask what was wrong while they tried not to wrinkle up their noses at the reeking meal I'd planned so carefully.I was so hungry, frustrated, disappointed, angry at myself for making such a rookie mistake. I do keep my corn starch and kitchen baking soda in identical containers, but they are clearly labeled. And I oh so clearly used the wrong one. I ruined dinner and it smelled
I made a desperate last gasp attempt to save the meal by throwing the contents of the skillet into a colander for a rinse, but it made no difference. I had rendered the last items of food in the house inedible. Well, except for the lo mein; the side dish for four was safe.
Rick saved the day with a big hug and a suggestion, "Lets get take out."


5 comments:
Oh no! At least hubby had a good plan, but I how irritating it is to ruin a meal with a silly mistake.
Once I was making hot chocolate and misread the directions for the salt and used a tablespoon instead of a teaspoon. Blech - that was a rookie mistake that I remember still after 40 some years. So sorry -- did you enjoy the take out?
Sorry that your dinner didn't work out, it sounded so yummy. Hope the takeout wasn't too much of a let down after anticipating your dinner all day :)
The take out from our favorite Chinese restaurant was great. Everyone got his or her choice of entree. This way we also had more leftovers than we would have had if plan A worked out.
I still regret all that waste of food.
Sometimes take-out is a Godsend! :) Still frustrating, though.
Post a Comment