My
dad and I recently went in together to buy a hogget from a
farmer. In just a few days we will be putting the meat into our freezers. And in my mind I'm savoring the aroma of roast leg of lamb with a bit of garlic and oven roasted potatoes, basted with the juices from the lamb, on the side. A fresh salad from my garden and some mint jelly would finish the meal.
Lately I've been reading in blogland about canning, preserving, cordial and jelly-making. I suppose it has me feeling like I am missing out on something. I especially thank
Little Jenny Wren and
Isabella in the 21st Century for my inspiration.
When we bought our house, I was able to start this successful mint patch.

So I thought it was time to dive in and see what I could make. Years and years ago, when I was in high school my mom made jelly. I remember helping to measure sugar and stir the pot and listening for the jar lids to seal when she took them out of the water bath. I had to dig way back into forgotten grooves of my mind to recall much at all. So I was relying heavily on what I had read on blogs and the recipe I printed from the web.
I picked and cleaned a number of mint sprigs.

I carefully measured the water and set the leaves to simmer. Here I'm straining the infusion.

Next I added sugar, lemon juice, green food coloring (else the jelly is a pretty gold color -- just not the way mom did it) a wee bit of butter, ever more sugar

and let the concoction bubble away. Last the pectin was added.

Then came the step I was most nervous about, the water bath. Would the jars seal? I didn't have any confidence.

I needn't have worried. As the jars cooled I heard two of them pop. I must have missed hearing the third, but soon all three lids were snug as I could wish. I had three beautiful jars of
MINT SYRUP.
Yes, mint syrup. My biggest error was using pectin mom bought about a decade ago. I read later that pectin has a shelf life of two - three years. Even if one tried stretching it to five years,
ten is asking too much.
I'll be happy with my mixed results of this kitchen-homemaking experiment. The part I was most worried about, sealing the jars, was a success. Next time I visit the supermarket I'll see if I can find some fresh pectin.
7 comments:
MarieN!
TOTALLY AWESOME!
What kind of mint? We bought some spearmint seeds this year. So far with less than spectacular results.
Oh no! Although mint syrup does not sound bad at all.
At least you were able to get something usable out of it. :-) The first time that I made jam and jelly I tried making 4 different jams and crab apple jelly. All but the rhubarb jam turned into solid blobs in the jars. (~Groan~)
Hi Scottius,
This is spearmint. I could not get the seeds to take, so I gave up a few years ago and took some transplants from my dad's yard.
When I make iced tea I like to steep some mint leaves with the brew. Ahhh it is refreshing that way.
Those jars look like beautiful jewels! You could use your syrup for flavouring tea. Don't give up, you did all the hard parts perfectly!
What a beautiful colour. It was worth the trouble just to have that glowing on the shelf. You might be able to use the syrup for all sorts of things, a spearmint milkshake would be yummy. Well done.
Gaaah. Mint syrup. It sounds delicious! Is it sort of like creme de menthe syrup?
Post a Comment