Tuesday, June 05, 2007

One Man's Junk

Is another man's treasure indeed.

And I brought home a treasure from our church's rummage sale.

During the sale I was helping others find what they needed when we were busy and straightening out the picked over tables or folding clothes when we had breaks in the action.

There were so many things donated! We sold a lot, from Friday's pre-sale through end-of-business on Saturday and the tables were still pretty full when we were done. So full that I did not even see this item until someone brought it to my attention (Thank you, L. !!!) when we were cleaning up.

The treasure I took home is a German pyramid carousel. This pyramid was showing some age. Joseph and the shepherd needed to be glued into place and it needed a bit of clean up. I started with gluing the figures and then I experimented with cleaning the fan blades. I'm so excited that they came clean! Next I'll get out some cotton pads and swabs to clear out some of the little crevices and the manger. All the way back to my earliest Christmas memories, mom's mesmerizing pyramid carousel with its delicate and detailed wood carving was the centerpiece of the dining room table.

Since Mom passed away, Dad has scaled back his Christmas decorating. I have not seen their carousel in a few years. But I do remember how special it was to Mom.

Read here if you'd like more about the history and tradition of German candle pyramids.

Addendum:
I did not notice until I began cleaning again that the angels' music is Stille Nacht!

4 comments:

Genuine Lustre said...

That is so perfect for you! I know you'll enjoy for years to come at Christmastime.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Fancy finding that at a jumble sale. It must have been meant for you. Last year we went to the German Christmas market that comes to Birmingham. They were selling the carousels and I just fell in love with them, if pre-Christmas pennies weren't so tight I would've bought one. Well done for seeing it!

Gina said...

I have not been to a good church rummage sale in ages. I'll need to make that a priority for the summer! Great find.

Anonymous said...

hey marie
i think i might want that back now that it's cleaned up so nicely!! i'm glad you're enjoying it!!