The kids and I took the short walk to our polling place since it is a beautiful day in northeast Ohio. I'm not too enamored with the electronic voting machines. Maybe I had more of a problem with the way they were set up. I had no sense of privacy with the screen available for anyone standing behind me to view. I wonder how often they clean those touch screens (ick!). I suppose people who had trouble with the complexities of the punch card will have no problem reading the three paragraphs of instructions about how to use the touch screen. Yes, that is sarcasm. Perhaps they should bring back the literacy test I had to take when I registered to vote.
A pleasant surprise on this beautiful day, the "gauntlet" of campaign workers was practically non-existent, here are only 5 people to walk past briskly on the way to the door. There is usually a large mob and scores of signs and banners. No one shoved any papers in my face (which I really hate when I'm holding the hand of a child in each of my hands).
On our walk back home, I noticed that my yard needs some attention. Hundreds of spent daffodil blooms and half the tulips need to be dead-headed. The purple, yellow and white tulips here are new this year. The previous owner had lots of red tulips in the front landscape. I added some other colors for variety.Also clamoring for attention are some volunteer plants I'd like to relocate, some hosta to move, and I still have not worked any peat into the soil of the veggie plot.

Today we have a treat-- daytime baseball. But with the two toddlers I babysit for coming over today there will be no knitting for me.


2 comments:
I don't like the touch screens at all.It just doesn't seem like a sure thing.
It's nice to vote here - no gauntlet -- just saying hello to all the pollworkers - we know just about everyone.
Our county has not reported election results yet -- due to a technical glitch! I am awaiting the results of the ( yet another) school levy.
Hmmm. I like the touch screens we use. It is weird still not to be shrouded by the curtains while voting, but as a claustrophobe I kinda like it! And the way the booths are set up, there's still really no one that can see you. You also get to see a printed "summary" of your vote before you leave, which helps make things more certain.
Post a Comment