Amidst great pageantry in St. John's cathedral downtown, a new bishop was installed over the Diocese of Cleveland today.The diocese must have a well connected public relations department. The news of the former bishop's retirement and the new bishop's installation has dominated front page and soundbite headlines for a while.
I'm glad the Catholic church will not be thrown into upheaval. I'm glad they have someone in the position. Can the soundbites stop now, please! Now the reporters are interviewing people who came from Boston to Cleveland to attend a reception (the service, which included a procession of over 300! could be attended by invitation only). And what do these people have to say? "He is a holy man. You are lucky to have him." The emphasis was in the speaker's voice.
I'm thankful not to have my confidence in man, but in Christ.
By the way, the cathedral is beautiful. A nice example of English Gothic architecture, like some of the other denomination's churches in downtown Cleveland. I attended a choir concert there once. It was lovely.


1 comment:
Didn't you know that all white Christians are Catholic, and all black Christians are Baptist? (/sarcasm) When they cover church services for Christmas and Easter, they usually only go to a Catholic church. So many Irish people being Catholic or Catholic in name only or formerly Catholic, Bishop Pilla had a very prominent place at the St. Patrick's Day parade, opening it with prayer. For that matter, Bishop Pilla usually got face time on the news whenever there was some kind of "moral issue" that needed to be covered.
I can kind of see why this is news. A lot of people in the Cleveland area are Catholic, and he is supposed to be their leader, their shepherd. There's just a lot of numbers there. I understand what you are saying, though. It's nice to get a different perspective. My in-laws are all Catholic, and a lot of the people I've hung out with over the years are too, so all the "Catholic news" is kind of background for me anymore. Not that I think I've absorbed any of the teaching, don't get me wrong. I guess I'd better stop now!
Post a Comment