Monday, May 08, 2006

Knitting Helps and Knitting Help

The slow pace of my baseball sock and the tight fit I'm getting on my brown and green socks have me a bit discouraged. So I finally opened the instructional video I had ordered from the library. (Basic Knitting Techniques by Bobbie Groome; Wool Shop Video, Inc.). I was pleased that I learned some new things:
cable cast on
making a button hole
a method to m1 in ribbing
some invisible m1 methods
knitting seams together. (Looks neat --Can't wait to try it! It looks much less bulky than the mattress stitch I used on the summer sweater which I happen to be wearing today.)

The video gave an example of how to do cable knitting, but it only showed one row, on the knit side. I have swatched and swatched for the past three days and I cannot get a decent looking cable. I think what I don't understand is how often I am supposed to put stitches onto the cable needle -- every row?, every other?, every third? Also, do I only cable on the knit side, or should it be done on the purl side too?
Here is my best swatch, as it went along.
CO 14
row 1 K, row 2 P, row 3 K, row 4 P

row 5 K2, P2, put 3 sts on cable needle to front, K3, load held sts back on left needle, K3, P2, K2

At this point the first photo was taken.


Now what in the world do I do next? Here are pictures of my best guess.

row 6 P2, K2, P6, K2, P2
row 7 K2, P2, K6, P2, K2
row 8 Rep. row 6
row 9 Rep. row 7
row 10 Rep. row 6

Then at this point I decided to try the cabling again in the other direction. I decided to do it here because this row (number 11) is the 6th row after the first time I used the cable, and there are six stitches in the cable pattern. I don't know if I lucked into this or if there is a formula to follow, but I think the length and width of the pattern on the swatch turned out okay.
Row 11 K2, P2, put 3 sts on holder to the back, K3, load 3 sts from holder back on left needle, K3, P2, K2. This second photo shows through row 11.

Then I continued the pattern some more.
row 12 Rep row 6
row 13 Rep row 7
row 14 Rep row 6
row 15 Rep row 7
row 16 Rep row 6
row 17 Rep row 5 (the one where the sts on the cable needle were held to the front)
row 18 Rep row 6
row 19 Rep row 7
row 20 Rep row 6
row 21 Rep row 7
row 22 Rep row 6
row 23 Rep row 11 ( the one where the cable sts are held to the back)
row 24 Rep row 6
row 25 Rep row 7
row 26 BO
The last photo shows the entire swatch.

After spending the last few days with much inferior results I'm pretty happy with this. But It doesn't seem quite right. The vertical wave is nice, but the same set of sts are always on the top. They do not braid or weave up and down. Can someone help me?

Another thing the video did not explain was how to read the grid patterns I see in so many pattern books. When I look at one my eyes glaze over and I'm overwhelmed. I have no idea what all those little symbols mean, and in the books I have borrowed I cannot seem to find any keys. There is so much more to learn!

4 comments:

Genuine Lustre said...

Whatever it is, it is pretty Marie. A true cable requires an extra needle that you put some stitches on in order to get that braided look. There is such a thing as faux cables - is that what you are working on? At any rate, I am afraid you are getting too technical for me!

Marie N. said...

Hi Polly,

I did use the cable needle, but it appears not correctly -- or only half correctly! I am not familiar with faux cables. I could have ended up with one without knowing what I was doing. Next time I have an hour to myself I'll try the same swatch again only instead of doing all the cables on the knit side I'll have to alternate knit sides and purl sides. Writing down each row as I create it is tedious, but I really want to learn how to do this. the winter tunic sweater I have forming in my imagination requires a cable.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

Marie,
This is kind of a long shot, but the only way I can think of to help, since I know nothing about knitting! There is a group at St. Paul Westlake called Nimble Fingers that meets Tuesday nights at 7:00 in the St. Paul school library. There are knitters and crocheters, and I know the woman who leads the group is an expert knitter and crocheter w/years and years of experience. Maybe you could go sometime and get some help?? Like I said, a long shot.

In other news, St. Paul is starting a sermon series and "small group Bible study" based on the latest Max Lucado book. Aaauuuuggggghhhh!

Marie N. said...

The knit group sounds good, Barb. That is a bit of a drive for me to take on family night, but if I get desperate enough I may do it. I love Tues and Thurs because nobody at home has to go out anywhere.

I'll pass on the small group heresy study. Thanks for the head's up :-)

There is a knit group that meets in Berea too. That is closer to me, but also on Tuesdays, so I have not gone there either.