Saturday, May 13, 2006

A Project Completed...

...And More onthe Drawing Board

Here I can show with joy one of the socks in my newest completed pair. They are a bit long for my 9yo, but they fit me well.

I completed the socks early in the evening yesterday so I had time left to play with the cabling.


I'm pleased with the results. In this first snapshot of the swatch I demonstrated to myself: doing the first cable twist, holding stitches to the front, on a knit row; doing several stockinette rows; then doing the second cable twist holding stitches to the front on a purl row would give the effect I hoped for. For some reason, my camera turned the image sideways. I could not figure that out. So tilt your head, or use your imagination!



I kept going to complete three twists in this pattern. Then I noticed that there could be more stockinette rows between the twists. I added two more rows of stockinette between the twists in the second set of three twists. The shape looks more oval and less circular that way. I think it is a little less busy, and a little less stress on the fabric too. Putting in two more rows might look even better. But I decided to find out another time.

Next I want to learn how to work with ore than one color. Then I'll have the tools I need to make that winter tunic I've been dreaming of.

I made a yarn purchase on eBay last night. Maybe a spring/fall sweater will be in the works first-- who knows? I'll have a better idea when I can swatch the new yarn.

No comments: