
Thank you, Ann, for adding this humor to my day.
Yesterday was a day of mixed emotions. Our family was invited to lunch with some friends. In accepting this gracious invitation we also got to enjoy the company of our friends who are waiting for information about their move to Togo, West Africa. We were enjoying a beautiful day, picnicking with fun conversation and watching all the children frolic...
Then the sound of crying and thrashing in the water caught my attention. My poor 4 year old ds had tumbled into the fishpond. He did manage to right himself, but when Dad lifted him from the water he was frightened, uncomfortable, soaked with water (algae etc.) from collar to shoes, and generally upset. Poor guy. Our kind hostess wrapped him in a big towel and got his soggy clothes off. He settled down and stopped crying when he felt the security of Dad's arms around him and solid ground under his swiftly unshod feet. Then we headed straight for the bathtub.
Of course I did not have spare clothes. Luckily I still had a couple of pull-ups that I had always kept in my car with a box of wipes. Our little one got to come home with us clean and dry and sporting a pull-up, a tee shirt several sizes too large and an equally large sweat jacket. But he had gotten over his fright. I told him that next time he visits our friends I do not want him to scare their fish.
So we were off towards home. For a little while anyway. Dh had to fly out of town for a week and his flight departed Sunday afternoon. After taking him to the airport the kiddos and I hung around home reading until bedtime. We all miss you already, Dear. It is going to be a long week.


5 comments:
The neighbors behind us have a fish pond. Their daughter (currently four) falls in at least once a year. She likes to look at the fish a little too closely.
I feel your pain at daddy being gone - we've had a lot of that lately ( but not this week, thankfully). Some things that I think help:
-Take out or convenience food that we wouldn't normally have.
-Stocking up on library books and videos helps for those lonely evening hours.
-Having at least one place to go each day, just to get out of the house.
-A right before bed check of the doors and windows.
-Luther's evening prayer. I like to commend myself.
A good list, Polly. Sounds like you have more experience than you'd like in this area too.
I completely lose my motivation to cook full meals when Dh is gone, so we take full advantage of the local pizza and sub shop or some such.
I miss being home, too. Especially when my entire trip is to please U.S. Senators that have nothing better to do than "protect" us from Enron-types. Yep, all my work this week is auditing work. What a waste of business capital.
Marie, eat some anchovies and chicken livers for me. :-)
Rick N.
anchovies - done, but with pizza this time instead of salad.
chicken livers -- drat! Went to the store today and I forgot to buy some.
Post a Comment