Saturday, May 27, 2006

Last Sunday Evening

Last Sunday evening my daughter and I were in Louisiana with family. In my last entry I wrote about photos with the whole gathering of us and later I saw one I intended to post was accidentally deleted. So here it is.


Three years ago was the last time my household visited Louisiana. Since that time, my daughter has been itching to go and play at her uncle's gym. This was the day!

It was getting dark by the time we got there. I'm sorry to say some of these photos are quite dark, but as many of you know us I thought they would be fun to include anyway.

Here is Gymnastics Plus!



We got warmed up with some trampoline jumping and then moved on to some trampoline tricks. My brother and daughter are jumping and a cousin is recovering from her turn.






After all that jumping (or was it the influence of the trip my brother and I took to one of Louisiana's famous drive-through Dacquiri Shops) [yes, you read right, they have drive through dacquiri shops. I recommend the White Russian dacquiris.] my brother took a rest on the parallel bars.







I wanted to try to walk the balance beams, but I did not have the courage to try the four foot beam. Here I'm on the three foot. It was newly covered so the suede was very fresh and pleasant under foot.









Here I'm flying through the air over the pit. The pit is filled with six- inch- cubes of foam rubber. I thought I'd break my neck if I did flips from the uneven bars over the pit, so we all opted for the rope and for jumping from the springboard into the pit. The springboard didn't make it into my photos. That was my favorite.

My cousin and another cousin's daughter did spot me on the uneven bars. I gained a new respect for the difficulty of the routines I watch every olympics! I felt like a tomato trying to avoid a shish-kabob skewer.

After a couple hours of indoor play the girls all went out to the pool and had a night swim. It was 11 p.m. before we got to bed. We had to be at a funeral fairly early the next morning, so we slept fast. Next time I'll have some photos from the 9th ward.

2 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

What fun! That ballet training shines through! Do they only teach gymnastics there, or do they teach other skills such as cheerleading? My daughter's gym doesn't have a lot of that fun equipment.

Marie N. said...

Hi Barb,

I think they concentrate soley on the gymnastics. I know they go to a lot of meets and win a lot of awards.