Thursday, August 31, 2006

Designing Sleeves

With great joy I opened the large envelope in my mailbox. My book arrived!
I turned right to the part about designing sleeves and learned the type of sleeve I want to make is the most complicated. Nice.

The information I had to go on were measurements in the given pattern (from which I deviated) for the length of the sleeve and the adult-size pattern of a sleeve I'd used on a garment for myself.

I read about how the sleeve opening should compare to the measurements around the sleeve cap and how tall the sleeve cap should be.

Then I started writing down a pattern, looking at the instructions for the adult sleeve and keeping my gauge in mind. That part was largely guess work.

I made a practice sleeve and measured all its aspects against the book's recommendations. Changes were needed. I did not have enough fabric in the sleeve cap compared to the arm hole opening. So I re-wound the yarn into a ball and started again from mid-sleeve this time. I had confirmed the proportions at the cuff end of the sleeve were correct.

On the second try I was pleased with my modifications.

Next I looked here for some knitters graph paper. Once I had printed the paper I had to plot a schematic of the sleeves. To keep with the crazy intarsia puzzle pieces on the body of the sweater two drawings would be needed. These sleeves were not going to look alike. The artist had chosen the colors for the sleeves herself. I did decide to change the right and left from her wishes though. It took me several tries (five or six) to make a nice ribbing with the two colors. I put them on her left in hopes to protect them from extra wear her right sleeve may get.

Finally, I have something to show for my efforts. In the future I'll need to make a schematic as a mirror image of the desired final product. It looks like these are turning out backwards. With this design, luckily, it does not matter at all. In this part of the project I'm employing lifelines for the first time. Those are the grey worsted weight yarns running through the stitches. I put in the first one at row 15 after completing the ribbing for what seemed like the hundredth time, and it looked great! At row 30 I added another lifeline because I had two fibers on hand to use. At row 45 I'll pull out the first lifeline and use it again at that point. Now that I've gotten the schematics done I'm confident I can complete the knitting quickly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's what I call dedication. I bet it is very satisfying to be able to design your own.

Marie N. said...

Hi Plain and Simple,
Right now the feeling is more hope than satisfaction. I sincerely hope to have a photo of the Artist wearing her sweater by next Friday.