Thank you, Martha, of Your Daily Art for introducing me to Tom Thomson! I love the way his work reminds me of Cezanne's. This is Burnt Country by Tom Thomson. When I saw it I was immediately reminded of my garden this year, hence this post.The green beans I have always had excellent results with were nibbled to an early death by deer and chipmunks. I ended up harvesting about one seventh my usual yield.
I planted lettuce for the first time, two long rows and two short rows. The short rows were in a part of the garden I had cultivated last year. The long rows were in an area where I had removed some hosta to expand the produce area. The long rows failed miserably. I think I harvested fewer than ten leaves from those rows.
The peppers were deer fodder, the tomatoes suffered draught and neglect and were less fruitful than I'd hoped, but the ones we have eaten are quite good. The kohlrabi seems to have been a favorite of the small vermin. I can't even tell where it was.
This year I planted more snap peas than ever before, and thankfully we have been enjoying them more than ever before. We've had lots of yummy stir fry meals. So much that I've had to restock ginger in my spice cabinet.
Notes for next year:
Add some peat to the area where the lettuce failed.
Buy a net to make the deer work harder for their snacks.
Start green beans indoors so I can plant seedlings rather than seed outdoors.
Yesterday in Finland there was a hint of Fall in the air. I could not detect it here yet, but there are other measures more sensitive than my observations. My daughter found a cicada shell clinging to a sedum. Come to think of it, I have been hearing them sing in the twilight for about a week now. I'm so glad I've only ever met his shell.!


4 comments:
Nice post, hon. We'll try again next year, and will put up some pest inhibitors.
Are pest inhibitors those little gadgets that go click, click, in your garden whenever a cat/deer/dog stray in? The animals don't like the noise and leave - if so they really work! We used them to deter the neighbourhood cats from pooing in the veg patch. Better than the DH with a pellet gun - he was planning to kill nexts door's cat and make a jaunty hat out of the pelt...like an English Davey Crockett....
My garden really stunk this year too, for different reasons.
My garden is full this year!!! Full of weeds and some flowers which returned from last year. I am thinking that next year will be a good year to have the dgc learn to work in the garden. The yard has also gone to seed -- weed seeds that is : )
Post a Comment