Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Inauspicious Beginning

This morning I awoke to a strange noise from the monitor in my son's room. Daddy was in there talking to the poor little Engineer and cleaning up a mess. I stumbled downstairs to see if I can help so the Quipper can go about the business of getting ready for work.
It seems the little guy had an upset tummy. No fever, through. And nothing in his tummy either, as he earned himself a bedtime at about 3 p.m. with no supper for his misbehaviors earlier in the day.

Perhaps he is still too little for the immediate-bed-without-supper consequence.

Now, two hours later, he appears to be keeping food down and instead of lying on the couch he is reading his books to himself. Hopefully he is headed for full recovery! I'm glad this happened now rather than Sept. 5th. It would not bode well to deal with this on the first day of school.

I did get a little more organizing done in the school room last night. There is still a bit more to do, but not an overwhelming amount. I have more things I'd like to put on shelves than shelf space will accommodate. Some of the preschool items are larger and when the little one is through with them they can be replaced with more advanced activities.

Over the weekend I started the front panel of the sweater I'm knitting. Last night I did get to pick up my knitting again, but I did not knit one stitch. I spent two hours weaving in some ends and watching some TV. Well, I got about half the ends woven in. I was unmotivated, I suppose. Things were getting too chaotic on the wrong side of the fabric and I needed to get it cleared up so I could continue more easily.

Since the last photos I have completed the back panel of the sweater. The shoulders are on holders so I can knit the shoulder seams together as I saw on a video recently. If I'm not happy with that outcome, plan B can be to bind off the stitches and sew the seams. The pattern calls for binding off the neck stitches too, but I prefer to pick them up with I knit the collar. I hope I'm not creating a problem for myself here. I plan to keep the number of stitches in the collar that the pattern calls for.

I'm so much happier with the front panel that I considered ripping out the back and re-working it. I think I'm kidding myself here though. I'll have to determine that when I have the sleeves done and I can better imagine how it will look as a completed garment.

Lene recommendedDesigning Knitwear by Deborah Newton (sorry, I cannot get the link to work) to me in a recent comment. I found the book at the library and began browsing through it. To meet my immediate project needs I found a section on designing sleeves. But there is so much more, and too much to take in all at once. The search was on, and I found a knitter on eBay who was downsizing her knitting library. Soon my own copy will arrive in my mailbox. Thank you for the recommendation!

4 comments:

Lene said...

Hope the Engineer will be well soon!
The sweater looks very good to me. Can't wait to see it finished. And am glad you found your copy of the book!

Designated Knitter said...

Your sweater looks amazing! Since I'm also working on an intarsia project, I feel the pain of all those loose ends. I try not to think about it....
Like my friend YarnThrower, I'm not so much a fan of the sewing up. When I did my first sweater, my teacher taught me the 3-needle bind off for the shoulders, and I love it. (In fact, I usually do it for the toes of socks as well - wow, I'm just noticing that I don't like seaming, weaving ends or grafting toes - makes one wonder why I even knit!) Anyway, I also like to keep the stitches for the neck live on holders and I think it works well, so it sounds like you're on the right track there.
I love reading your blog!

Marie N. said...

Engineer Update: He is running and playing like his usual self now. He just needed some food in his system. Thank you!

Designated Knitter, that's it! The three-needle bind off. I could not recall the name, but I do remember how to do it. I rmember the video describing how it made a nice strong shoulder join. That sounds good for a growing girl's garment. Next pair of socks I will try it as well.

Your intarsia with beads project sounds interesting, I can't wait to see your finished photos.

Before I started this sweater I read about making intarsia sweaters one color block at a time, joining the colors to make it look like traditional intarsia. The diagrams intimidated me. Maybe I'll try it in the future. The photos in the article were impressive. It was in _Great Knits: Texture and Color Techniques_ from Threads.

Anonymous said...

I hope your little boy stays well. Your sweater's looking very good. Re: the three needle bind off, I have just learnt that very technique from one of my vintage homemaking books...it's excellent as (like all knitters?)I hate finishing off!