Monday, August 14, 2006

Off to a Good Start

Knitting on the intarsia sweater is coming along. I decided I do not yet have enough experience in designing to create my own design. Perhaps because the process calls for creating a graphed stitch chart to follow when knitting. I have not yet learned to follow one of these charts. First things first. Also, if I am going to experiment I think I should do it with a doll outfit or one for myself. Not a garment my daughter looks forward to wearing that ends up not turning out so well or being rewound into balls. You can see my thick, black progress line rising like a thermometer along the right margin.

So I found a pattern that my Artist likes. I had bought more colors than the pattern calls for so I deviate from the color scheme a little in the body and a lot in the sleeves. I also prefer the set in sleeves, so I have made some modifications to the pattern for the body.

When I get to the sleeves I'll have to look up the pattern for my crimson cable sweater's sleeves (photos June 21 & 28, 2006 of archives). They are very comfortable and shapely on the arms. I'm excited to try out some of those nifty pattern converters on the web to get the proportions right. I'll probably need to knit up a sleeve in a solid color to make sure it is the right size before I work the intarsia sleeves. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.For now, I'm a mere 1.5 inches plus 21 rows of pattern into the back panel of the sweater. It is fun to work with this very bright yarn! I could never wear these colors, but the Artist can. I am pleased with the vertical effect of the light and lie of yarn (click on Our Yarns in left column, then on Microspun) in the stockinette stitch rows.

6 comments:

Lene said...

The little Artist's sweater looks very good.
Have you seen a book called Designing Knitwear by Deborah Newton? I find that book informative.

Emily said...

How do you do the different colors in the same row?
It looks like it'll turn out pretty neat. =)

Anonymous said...

This is really coming on well. The colours are so lovely and bright.

Marie N. said...

Hi Lene,

I just looked at my local library on-line and I ordered the book. Thanks for the recommendation!

Marie N. said...

Emily,

There is a little trick to it. I don't think I could describe it in any comprehensible way without showing it at the same time. I finally learned from a video because reading about the technique in books made my head spin.

Do you have something in mind you'd like to make?

Emily said...

No, Im not good at stuff like that, I was just curious as to how you did that.. it looks complicated =P