A couple of weeks ago our home school group had a fantastic field trip. We went to see Rev. Robert Tauscher give a presentation about racing pigeons. He showed us many varieties of show pigeons also in his collection. It was interesting to learn about where so many of the breeds originated. We also learned about how they are trained to race and how the flocks are cared for and kept healthy.
After the presentation, the kids all had lunch and play time together. This means the moms also got to have some very enjoyable time together. A grand way to spend the day!Some ring neck pigeons, also called doves. These look like one of the smaller varieties.
I don't remember the name of this variety, but they have picturesque crests on their heads. I think they look like they are wearing bonnets.
This bird has a genetic "lace feather" condition that renders it flightless.
These ice pigeons look to me like they have snow shoes on!
Those who wished to get to pet some pigeons. 


The Artist's favorite variety was the German Owl, but somehow I did not get a photo of it!


3 comments:
You know, a few weeks ago we found a stranded racing pidgeon in our garden. The girls were fascinated by him/her. After a couple of hours it just flew away. It used to be that a lot of old chaps used to race pidgeons but I don't know of any who do it now.
MarieN!
My grandpa kept pigeons. We used to take them way out in the country, let them go, and then race them back home. They always beat us. Of course they didn't have to contend with things like roads.
However, pigeons have got to be one of the filthiest animals God gave us. And I'm not talking about all the feathers. Cleaning out the house they lived in was certainly dreaded detail.
"After the presentation, the kids all had lunch"
I trust the lunch was in no way connected these winged beasts.
Ha Ha! No Scottius, though the presenter did talk about how pigeons could be used to help solve the food shortages in many impoverished nations, they did not make up our luncheon for the day. My kids had ham sanswiches, other folks brought their own sack lunches.
(From what I understand the hold up on eating pigeons in some African cultures is that they are considered food for royalty. But I may be mistaken there).
Post a Comment