Thursday, November 30, 2006

Learning Curve

All was going well, I thought, on the sleeve for this cables and lace sweater I dream of making. I had knitted through five pattern repeats without losing track of any stitches. I made myself a note card of each pattern row. This helped keep my eyes from reading the wrong row on the original pattern. Then, when I stopped to assess my progress so far, I noticed that the increases in the sleeve edges were throwing off the cable pattern's position. The cable rows had started to skew. In the area between the pins it is on track, and above the pins (as more stitches have been added to the rows) it veers off course. The instructions tell me to add the increases at the ends of the rows, but there must be some implied adjustments I am not tuned into.

At this point I'm completely frustrated with the project. I will unravel this sleeve back to the earliest lifeline, and see what happens next. What may happen next? I found a pattern I like for the new worsted weight yarn I bought last week. I could start on that. Or I may give this sleeve another go. Or I may return to the sweater I was making with the Lion Brand microspun. I put this one aside because I miscalculated the numbers of rows I would need in each strip and the strips were coming out too long. I may search for another pattern to use with this green yarn, but I have looked extensively already. Finally, I may check out those pattern converters to see if they can change any of my nice worsted wt. patterns into finger weight stitch counts.


3 comments:

Genuine Lustre said...

This is just lovely Marie. Liddy and I were talking about different knitting styles. I'm a big picture "get 'er done" knitter ( my whole life is like that actually . . . )-- knit till it's big enough then cast off. Liddy is more like you - analytical and willing to count rows and stitches and follow patterns.

Anonymous said...

Oh Crikey Marie. You are incredibly patient, but I suppose knitting is like a puzzle and most knitters like puzzles! I really like the pattern for the sweater in worsted you're planning.

Gina said...

Drat! Nothing irks me more than patterns that haven't sorted out increases and decreases while keeping the pattern stitch! Naturally, you could figure it out on your own, but if you wanted to do that much thinking/math, you would not have bothered with following a commercial pattern to start.