Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Toe Work

Last night I finished the turn heel of my first stocking, completed the gusseting and started the foot. At this point I took a break and went back to my well used ball of practice wool. I wanted to experiment with some different toes for these stockings.

In the past I have used decreases at each end of each needle every other round to decrease for the toes, but they turn out a bit too pointy for my taste.

In my haste, I did not get photos of the toes. But I followed the instructions here for the star toe, shown in gray below.
I also experimented with this decrease (in the green and purple): K7 then K2 tog. Repeat all the way through the round. Then knit a row even. Next K6 before the K2 tog and repeat all the way around. Next knit a row even. This continued until I completed a round of K1, K2 tog. Then I bound the remaining stitches in the center instead of grafting the toe. This turned out a lot like the star toe, only with six points rather than four. I have not decided for certain which I will use. I liked them both.

1 comment:

RPW said...

What a great idea! A ball of practice yarn. I tend to just jump right in and then rip, rip, rip

LOL