Thursday, October 26, 2006

Over the Knee Socks (With High Hopes)

I've gotten up the gumption to begin a pair of over-the-knee stockings from Handknit Holidays. Here's a great photo from the book. I believe I'll chose a different outfit to wear with them!
My yarn is this denim colored, brushed wool superwash. It was an Ebay special. And it was very inexpensive to buy that way. After I started working with it I could understand why someone would part with it for so little. The brushed texture would make people with sensitive skin a bit itchy. After wrapping a swatch around my foot and my leg, I thought I could handle it. So, I began.
I have heard that when making long socks, elastic thread should be knitted into the cuff. This pattern does not call for that, and I have not decided if I will add it in anyway or not.

Any advice is most welcome!

Finally, I'd like to thank my dear friend, the writer, artist and photographer of Dances With Wool for inspiring me to knit these. When I had newly returned to knitting she showed a photo of these stockings that she had made and I fell in love with them. That was her post of March 12, 2006. And this morning I had the great pleasure of looking back in her archives to see so many beautiful things.

11 comments:

Genuine Lustre said...

Gasp! I love those.

Babette said...

Those socks are beautiful, practical and hip - perfect for you!

High hopes are the very best kind, in my Book.

Amy said...

I love those too! Can't wait to see yours when you're done!

Rick said...

I could make a ZZ Top reference about stockings, but I won't.

Anonymous said...

These are really great, brilliant with knee boots in the winter. I don't know about the elastic issue but I suspect it's either that or garters!

Lene said...

Thank you for your kind words!

I have not knit over the knee stockings because I don't know (yet - I hope) a clever way to make them stay above the knee without garters. I have only made knee highs and miss N wears them all the time and with the elastic band hidden in the fold she never complains them not staying up. Somehow I'm not convinced that knitting with elastic would make the over the knee stockings stay up.I am afraid the elastic would lose its ability to pull together sooner than when the actual sock wears out. At least with the kind of elastics you can buy around here...

Marie N. said...

Thank you, Lene. I love the idea of using an elastic ring in the fold. That will be easy to do.

Marie N. said...

Thank you all for the comments -- I really hope I am able to finish this project :-).

The right twist (RT) I learned on the gloves is used in the ribbing just under the roll near the top of the stocking. I'm glad I had the learning curve with that stitch on the gloves. It went much more easily this time. And, this time, it looks good!

Genuine Lustre said...

Why not wear them with a garter belt?
You can by sensible garter belts at places like Vermont Country Store.

Genuine Lustre said...

I forgot to say, why should cross dressers get to have all the fun?

RPW said...

I have a pattern for "thigh highs" that uses a knit strap (garter stitch...2 feet long, and about an inch and 1/2 wide) that you tie around the top of each leg...I'll have to post a pic when I can steal the book back from my yarn pusher (Designated Knitter). Apparently that was how it was done often enough when they were hid by the bloomers and the petticoats..... :)

I LOVE these though. That clocking down the back is GORGEOUS. I just put the book on hold at the library! I want a pair too!!! (my husband said rooowwrrr).