Monday, October 30, 2006

Traditional Lutheran Hymnfest

Another announcement relating to my post of Sept. 16th. My Pastor sent the following text in an eloquent email about our church's upcoming hymn sing. I hope to see you there!

~~~~~~~~~

On Sunday November 5, 2006 at 3:00 p.m. Christ Lutheran
Church in Cleveland will feature a traditional hymnfest. Come
join in singing the music which formed your faith from earliest
years as found in The Lutheran Hymnal.

These are the hymns which proclaim the powerful Gospel of
Jesus Christ without faltering; teach the Bible's beautiful
doctrines in a most unforgettable manner; comfort us during
trial and tribulation and majestically praise God in spirit and
in truth.

This year's hymnfest will feature great favorites such as A
Mighty Fortress, Abide With Me and Praise To The Lord,
as well as organ introductions by Cleveland's finest Lutheran
organists.
Pastors Lloyd Gross and Dean Kavouras will provide the
fascinating history, commentary and biblical insight which
inspired each of these dynamic hymns.

This Service of song will be held at Christ Lutheran Church;
3271 West 43rd Street, just ½ mile south of Clark Avenue
on Cleveland's Near Westside. It will begin at 3:00 and be
followed by light snacks. A freewill offering will be taken to
support the Lutheran Heritage Foundation which brings
preaches the Gospel of Christ in 83 languages around the
world. This is also the organization which published Pastor
Kavouras' book: 911 The Aftermath – The Word Works.
Autographed copies of said book will be available during the
reception.

Bring your voices, your friends and your family for a
wonderful afternoon.

~~~~~~~~~

Let me also add, you can hear samples of the magnificent organ at Christ Lutheran Church by listening to the podcasts in the red and blue CLC Radio link in my sidebar.

4 comments:

Amy said...

That would be such a wonderful time. I wish I could come!!

Babette said...

I am notifying my brother-in-law and his family in Hudson.

We use the Red Hymnal, too!

I enjoy teaching Mendelssohn's "Reformation Symphony" and studying Holbein's "The Ambassadors" at this time of year. The hymnal in "The Ambassadors" is open to a "A Mighty Fortress", too.

Babette said...

Actually, it is opened to Luther's translation of Veni sancte Spiritus and the 10 Commandments. Here I stand, corrected.

Marie N. said...

Hmm I think I need to make a "Homestead Lutheran Acad." button or something so I can say hello to folks!

At last year's hymn sing some bloggers met face to face for the first time, that was neat :-)