Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Measures of Success

Many Hearty Congratulations to the Quipper and his band, Running in Circles , for getting a show at House of Blues in Cleveland! Way to go, Guys!!!

In knitting I was side tracked last night...
My library called to let me know the movie I requested, Anna Karenina, had come in. Because it is a DVD I have it for a 7 day loan. There is a $1 per day fine if it is overdue on return. I'd like to avoid that!!! So I started watching it last night. There are about 7 more hours left to go, and I imagine this should be done before the Quipper gets home and football overtakes the TV again. Despite the slow going because of the interesting movie, I got a few fingers done. I need to finish the index finger, then read about how to create the thumb.
The Artist has had her success today too: After serious studying of flash cards and quizzing aloud, she earned a great score on this year's first Latin test. Great Job, Sweet Cakes!

Finally, the Engineer has been very interested in school and in reading books. Here are some of his library favorites: He is now to the point where he will read these by himself, fairly successfully, if I do not join him on the couch fast enough.

For a final note I'll let the Quipper know that I'm enjoying fresh whipped parsnips while he is out of town. First simmer till soft. Then I whip them in the blender with butter (the squares are a little hard to see), milk, and nutmeg. Mmmm. The whole house smells so good now.


7 comments:

Rick said...

Parsnips...eeeeeew. I was telling my co-workers last night how your menu changes when I'm out of town. :-)

Congratulations to my dd for doing so well on her test!!!

Genuine Lustre said...

I love frog and toad! But fell asleep during Anna Karenina.

Our menu changes here too when daddy is gone. We bring out the beans.

Marie N. said...

Polly,

I love the costumes in the movie! As I lounge on the sofa in my sweatsuit, knit and take in the movie, I imagine having to sit ramrod straigt with whalebone stays and knit on a settee.

Emily said...

Good ol' frog and toad ^_^

Designated Knitter said...

Congrats to Quipper!

The gloves are looking grand....

Really? Parnsips? I've always been oddly afraid of parnsips. Mabye because my mother, who likes everything, including HOMINY, won't touch them. I'll have to buck up and give them a try. I mean, I finally tried asparagus and broccoli, and now they're my favorites....

Marie N. said...

Hi Designated Knitter,

I will tell you, I ONLY like parsnips this way, but this way, they are so so good.

Babette said...

A rock band, Tolstoy, Latin, a fledgling reader, knitting, and parsnips with nutmeg?! You lead an eclectic life, Marie.

Many Seattlites wear fingerless gloves due to our moderate winters.