Thursday, October 05, 2006

Do The Twist

I found a pattern for some nice gloves in Handknit Holidays that I wanted to try.

There were several merits...
After making a number of scarves, my fingers longed to get back to more slender needles.
I could use some practice yarn sent me by a generous new e-friend. Thank you so much!!!
The pattern called for me to learn some new techniques.
It wouldn't be hard to bind off the fingers early, as what I'm really after is a pair of driving gloves for myself.

I get to use size US 1 (2.25 mm) needles--no aches so far!

Gabriele sent me this shoe box stuffed with practice yarn. There is a nice large ball of royal purple finger weight here (the color is not coming true on my screen). It feels like a synthetic blend and it has a little faint sparkle to it. It is very close to the same shade as my winter coat. The pattern begins with a ribbing pattern calling for right twist and left twist in some of the rows. Off to Google I go. Would you believe results 1-6 of 1,540,000 showed six different ways to do a right twist! What is a girl to do? I just picked one and went with it. I'm sure there will be future patterns presenting me opportunity to try some of the others. Now I know, next time I will try this technique (Direct Method). I think it would be a little easier than what I'm doing now, but I don't want to start over again.

The stitch is slow going. I attribute about half of this to the yarn (I need to be careful to get every ply of each stitch) and half to my inexperience. Here I have six rows of 16 done. The little on-the-needles photo is closest to the actual color, I think.

2 comments:

Genuine Lustre said...

Those are beautiful. I would like a pair for Christmas please.

Anonymous said...

I love the colour...keep us posted!