Saturday, October 28, 2006

Fridge Meme

Echo From the Green Hills tagged me!

The kitchen is often the center of the home. Ours is no different. We all need to walk through the kitchen to go out the back door. Being that the garage is out the back door, we use that portal nearly all the time. Muddy or slushy shoes come off in the kitchen and to dry on the kitchen matt near the heat vent. As the mom, I do a lot of work in the kitchen. Book bags, sport bags, and all the papers and parcels associated with errands to run collect on a shelf in the kitchen or next to the steps. It is certainly the busiest room in my house. And the largest appliance there is my fridge. It provides a high shelf for my copper canisters (tea, coffee, sugar, flour, cookies (or fruit snacks in our case) and a big blank slate for much miscellany. The place of honor on the front goes to the calendar. Going clockwise from there on the top (freezer) door you can see:
*the Quipper's weekly "things to do" list under a dentist's magnet
*a business card from the barber (After 10 cuts you get one free) under a US flag magnet
*my handy dandy timer/stopwatch combination -- so useful for school and occasional baking
*a list of emergency contacts (doctor, dentist, vet, grandparents, etc.) under a bank magnet
*a magnetized "Merry Christmas" pad of post-it notes
*some unemployed magnets: green cross, house photo, and durable medical equipment provider
*a card from the orthodontist with the next appointment reminder under a purple cross magnet
*in a red clip are some printer pages with the Quipper's gig schedule for the next several months
*and finally, more unemployed magnets: Bryce Canyon, a plumber, a radio show, and another bank

Then we come down to the door the kids can reach! You can see one of the several kitchen hand towels we were given as wedding presents. Oh my, they are 15 years old! No wonder my stash is getting thin. Something to add to my shopping list.

A clip magnet is holding the Engineer's football class registration and information. By the way, his first class was today. The Quipper and he both loved it! I need to sneak in a little photo here to show you how much he was looking forward to it. This was taken before I went to bed around midnight earlier in the week:
Back to the meme...
At the left of the fridge photo you can see above the fruit basket is another large space of open refrigerator white space looking to accumulate clutter. Here I have (top row) a library flier, a record of a great day target shooting, a church Deacon's schedule. The second row holds German school contact info., an inspirational quote about home schooling sent by a good friend, and a blue clip holding menus from our favorite take out restaurants. Finally there is an invitation to a party.


But wait! There's more! Inside we keep a family annual tradition so it is always at hand for review: Each family member makes a list, reviews it near the end of the year, and makes another list for the next year.

Now we are old friends and you can feel at home when you come to visit.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you did it! If you can tell about a household by what's on their fridge then you are very organised and I am very...well...hmmm...

Genuine Lustre said...

that's the same cabinet hardware that we had in the house where I grew up. I love copper in a kitchen - very cozy.

Susan said...

Hey, you have my refrigerator! And you have my calendar (except a smaller version)!

Anonymous said...

Your so organized...
Can you please help us
please click here to see ours

Marie N. said...

Busted! When I saw this meme going around on some blogs I read, I did a
quick clean up of the frige in case I was tagged!
I keep the kids art projects in other places and I try to toss all those appointment reminders we accumulate the day of the appointment.