Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Books and Movies

Last night I began to watch the BBC miniseries Bleak House. The series is based on the novel by Charles Dickens which I had just finished reading earlier yesterday morning.

This was my first time reading an e-book. I did not realize at the time I selected it that this was an 800-some page novel! But I plodded through it and enjoyed it rather much. It seemed more plodding at times because I would have been more comfortable cuddled under a blanket with my feet propped up on the couch. Instead I was seated sans blanket in a dining room chair with my feet up on the piano bench!

I do not remember how I learned about the Daily Literature website, but I am glad I did. I'm not sure what I will read next. Probably a shorter work this time, like Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, because I distinctly remember not "getting it" in school. But I can't stay away from the British Victorian novels for too long. There are two Anthony Trollope novels among the choices.

Thank you, Classical Pelican, for lending me the miniseries on DVD.

p.s. I only watched the first episode last night, because it was great fun to watch the Cardinals trounce the Tigers in Game 3 of the World Series. Come on Cards! -- Two more and you can take it at home!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to Daily Lit.

One thing I really like about my Pocket PC is the ability to take ebooks with me, so I can sit on the couch, or my chair, and read.

Designated Knitter said...

I do kind of miss reading books in the evening - but I'll get back to it after the World Series is over - GO CARDS!!

;)

Gino A Melone said...

You may regret it, but check out http://www.gutenberg.org/.

Babette said...

One of my sons is reading Conrad's LORD JIM just now.

I prefer my Russian and British literature via musty, old books in a cozy chair in front of a roaring fire and, in the evenings, accompanied by a glass of fine Washington pinot noir.

We wondered if the rainout last night was divine intervention, as we had to attend the reading of our confirmand's paper at church during the scheduled game. ;~)

GO CARDS!!