After touring the home, the group went on a self-guided tour of the farm. Following that, the parents took the children on a short drive to Mt. Jeez.
Please note, this is Ohio! The term 'mountain' is very generous in its application here! But the elevation is high enough to give a nice overlook of the farm. The only photos I could find were all similar to this one from the Ohio Historical Society. But I digress. Atop Mt. Jeez, my friends were admiring the vistas. And my daughter noticed a caterpillar crawling across one mom's shoe. Something about this reminds me of the time 20 years ago when my friend and I took the children we were babysitting to the zoo. We went to the Pachyderm Building to see the elephants and the little boys were fascinated by the ants on the ground in front of the elephant display. But that is another digression!
So when my daughter comes home I see she has a little plastic baggie with a caterpillar in it. I am informed that Chloe is tired out from the car ride. I am thankful I saved the most recent pickle jar rather than tossing it. I make some holes in the lid and we set out to make a home for Chloe.
The Artist did a good job making a placard to keep by Chloe's jar:
We spent the evening looking up how to take care of Chloe. I am excited the Artist has the opportunity to do this in school. At the same time I harbor a little dread for it seems I am not good at keeping caterpillars alive. We have not had success with this in the past. So, though we will do our best, this may be the first and last time you read about this science adventure.


6 comments:
Ah, this is so cute! "Chloe the Caterpillar" sounds like a good title for a story :)
Welcome Chloe . . . .I think.
I used to find wooly bears all the time =) one was Wilma, and I had a Willy too. It was fun taking care of them. I found mine liked dandelion leaves best =)
Thank you, Emily. Maybe you can field my daughter's questions, since you have better experience that I :-)
We read on-line that they like to eat dandelion leaves, and that they are healthful for the caterpillar, so we put several in the jar. We also read they like to burrow under tree bark. As soon as we put some nice pieces of bark in there Chloe made herself at home between them.
Yes, Chloe is a wooly bear. And from the markings, I would say we are going to have a mild winter.
Homeschooling is a wonderful adventure! The Artist has good penmanship!
Post a Comment