So, my son needed new mittens, and the need was growing greater with each passing day bringing the snowy weather closer.
I had lots of wool superwash leftover from the stockings I made. It is a nice blue color that would do very well for the job. They are made from two strands of the yarn held together. The pattern called for sport weight yarns (held together), but luckily, I matched the gauge with the yarn I had.
Here they are:
I used the same yarn to link the two mittens together by a tether that will pass through the Engineer's coat sleeves and across his back. I've found this is the best way to avoid Lost Mitten Syndrome. I made the cuffs about an inch longer than the pattern called for because my favorite pair of gloves have nice long cuffs that cover my wrists inside my coat sleeves.The Engineer likes them and they are a good fit.
I started swatching for the green lace sweater I will be making next. I do not own the correct size circular needle (US 3) to begin this work yet. I discovered with my straight needles that this is the size I would need. As it happens, this time my stockinette stitches matched the recommended needle gauge on the pattern! I will use my straight needles to practice the cable and lace pattern in the mean time. I could not get it right last night.


5 comments:
My mother made "mittens on a string" for my middle son and they are *so* wonderful. Always there when he needs them and there's never one missing. I'm hoping to be able to make these someday and have several pairs.
Funny story - when I was little my mother knit me that most gorgeous cream hat and mittens with crocheted pink flowers on the tops. I lost them the *first day* I wore them to school! Thankfully, when the snow melted there they were on the playground and washed up good as new.
There is something terribly comforting about mittens on a string. They speak so very much of childhood. Good luck with the lace sweater!
The mittens are very nice. My mother always crocheted us mittens, hats and scarves, and crocheted a chain to attach the mittens.
Have you read the book "Mitten Strings for God". Lovely book, I think that is the right title. Anyway your mittens look lovely. I hope they keep him warm.
Your mittens looks beautiful.So I hope they keep him warm
Post a Comment