The usual, I imagine! This is the question Little Jenny Wren asked a few days ago. She showed inspirational photos of her abundant stash, a complete supply of needles and a nice selection of books.
My bag itself is made of wool from KnitPicks. I looked at this page of their site and found some colors I liked. This bag was my second felting project (after a pair of slippers). I followed a pattern, but altered it so the handle is formed perpendicular to the way it was meant to be. I hoped this would not make it hard to tote, but would let the bag flop open when it was resting on the floor at my feet. It flops open beautifully, but it is harder to carry than I would like.
I had some extra yarn left over and I played around with making a little scissor and needle holder. The pouch looks a lot like an eyeglass protector case. Inside there is a rectangle of densely felted fabric that I use to keep my yarn needles and cable needle secured. I have found it also convenient to keep a crochet hook, some stitch holders and a pen in this little no-longer -just-for-scissors case.
I got very tired of having all the little knitting accessories eluding my grasp at the bottom of the bag, so I scooped a bunch of things into a sandwich baggie. The contents are small and medium size needle caps, a random smattering of safety pins, a box of place markers and a box of stitch markers and some cough drops (a secret stash!).
Then there is the evidence that organization eventually breaks down! I have a gallon-size plastic freezer bag with one lonely highlighter in it. The green-ink pen, pencil, gauge indicator, tape measure, and large stitch holder were, at one time, in the bag too. Now, thanks to this exercise, they are restored to their rightful home. Also in this photo are the other things I scraped from the bottom of the knit bag: leftover purple yarn from a previous project (finger weight, so it is good for lifelines); cream colored wool used to practice unfamiliar patterns and stitches; and a set of dpns to use with that practice wool. I keep all the different writing tools handy to track my progress through patterns. If I need to make two of something each gets its own color. My pattern papers are crowded with tick marks, highlights and notes for what to do differently next time by the time I am finished with them.
Next I have two items that are not always in my knitting bag, but were caught there today. A magazine and a pair of slippers (they were a gift, I don't know how to crochet!) I like to take my knitting along to the Artist's tae kwon do classes when I have the time to stay and watch. The slippers are supposed to live in a little cubby in my van so I always have them when I get to tae kwon do. The instructor asks that everyone remove their shoes upon entering the building and my feet are eternally cold. So carrying slippers is my quick fix. Sometimes there are not many people watching and I can spread out my pattern and work freely. Other times it is more crowded and I don't have the elbow room to knit. For those times it is handy to have something to read at hand.
My current pattern would not make for a nice photo, but it is in the bag too.Also featured in my knitting corner of the den/TV room, since the bag was not enough to hold everything, are some file folders and the current book I have on loan from the library. The folders contain a wish list of things I'd like to make, instructions on specific stitches printed from web pages, and the patterns I have completed that I think I might want to make again some time.
I keep my needles in the top drawer of an old dresser that came with the house. At only two inches high and maybe twelve inches deep, the drawer does not hold any of the homeschool supplies that the other drawers are stuffed with.
Also in this top drawer, resting atop the needles, are both my knitting books (yes! both of them). Great Knits by Threads has many lovely things I'd like to make when I have more skill, confidence and yarn budget. Designing Knitwear is essential in helping me out when I deviate from a pattern. (Is it genetic? I can't leave a recipe unaltered either.) The library book does not usually associate with the books I have bought. If it makes friends with them it will not want to leave and I'll have a hefty fine to pay!
Speaking of those who do not usually associate together, I coaxed my wool stash (right) and wool-ease stash (center) to pose with my acrylic (left) stash for this photo. The wools are pleased to be in the majority thanks to all those scarves I made several weeks ago. I'm looking into padded hanger patterns to see if I can make use of the rest of these acrylics.
Next I have some future socks. My stash of sock yarn (blue wool/nylon) was recently doubled by a generous Bernat Denim-Style donation from Favorite Apron She also helped me out with a large gift of Microspun skeins. Thank you!!! Some of the yarn is knitted into stockinette strips, but they are doomed to be reworked as the measurements are not quite right. The gifted yarn will be a big help :-)
I have a little cotton,
and a little box of practice yarn of unknown fibers (a gift from Gabriele --- thank you!).
Last, but not least, I have my next two sweaters. The green is 100% wool fingerweight that I want to make into a lace pullover. I love all the different greens in the yarn.
And then the yarn I bought two days ago: tans, yellows, greens and browns around a black and silver core. The lighting in this photo seems truer than in my previous post.
I like seeing how so many other knitters have organized their hobby.


3 comments:
Thanks for the peek into your knitting bag and your stash. I will have to devote some time to organizing things for a public viewing.
Generally, I have a large bar of chocolate hidden under my knitting. But I've taken the "no chocolate until Christmas pledge". I like cough drops too, particularly humbugs (do you get those where you are?) My DH says your knitting is very well organised, is he trying to tell me something do you think?
You did a great job of the bag. I found your knitting bits and pieces really interesting. I love that you make notes and write on your patterns. I do too. I really like the green wool your knitting your next project from, it's suc a lovely colour.
Post a Comment