Tuesday, May 01, 2007

For the Birds

This is a cat who much prefers to groom herself, thank you very much. Here she is "fixing" the mess I just made of her hairdo. But every spring she must do something to contribute to the household that cares for her. We make her suffer through a grooming with a cat brush. This, so I can collect several tufts of her hair.

And why?

For the birds, in a manner of speaking.

Among the kitchen appliances we have this exhaust fan.

And on the outside, the fan masquerades as a nice shelter for sparrow nests.

Having no desire for a family to be raised in my fan vent; having less desire for a bird to make its way into the house; and if it is imaginable, even less desire for a bird to meet its demise at the blades of the fan, every spring I take a preventive action.

You may have noticed the satchel drooping from the exterior fan vent. That is last years coffee filter full of cat hair duct taped to the inside of the vent. When I get the step ladder out of the garage it will be replaced by this year's fresh cat-hair satchel.

3 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

A chipmunk once met its end in my mom's dryer duct...

Scribbit said...

That reminds me, I need to get someone out to snake out my dryer vent . . . it's not drying as efficiently and there must be a truck load of lint in there.

Gina said...

Wow! What a great idea.