Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Seeding the Garden

Over the weekend I was able to start some seeds in the garden. I planted three little (one yard) rows of peas. Last year after the sprouts recovered from severe deer chomping we did harvest plenty of peas to satisfy our taste for the stir fries we all enjoy over here.On the transplanting docket were some little sprouts of lettuce. They looked a bit spindly (too pitiful to photograph) and I'm not sure they will take. The thunderstorm we had last night may have done them in. That will not set me back too far though. I planted four additional rows of seed. I think each lettuce row is about four feet long and the transplants filled less than one row. Of all the green beans I started early I have one lonely sprout. I'll remind myself to check the date on the seed package next time.

I have not had any good bell peppers in years past, so I'll not try those this summer.

For something different and new this year I'd like to grow some turnips. The Engineer and I enjoy them quite a bit and I think Classical Pelican will like receiving some now and then. I have never planted them before. Can anyone recommend a type to try?

These jubilant tulips always make me smile. The Dutch iris are lush.
And again I planted my window boxes for the back deck with marigolds. I'm hopeful they will germinate soon.

5 comments:

Genuine Lustre said...

It looks beautiful. It's so wet here, there's no telling when we might be able to till.

Mumintroll said...

The flowers look so beautiful.
I like the tulips and the iris.

Scottius Maximus said...

MarieN!

That looks awesome. I can tell you're pretty good at this.

Even though you don't want regular peppers, how about some hot peppers?!! Jalapenos grow pretty easily and are quite prolific.

Kirken said...

Your flowers look great. I never seem to get them that nice. Can you come here and help me out. ;-)

Barb the Evil Genius said...

The flowers look very pretty and I wish you success with your other garden things. I hope I can get some stuff planted this year, even if it's only in containers.