Next we moved on to the Compound Word Objects box.
Wednesday, May 23, 2007
Word Play
The Engineer is in kindergarten. He is learning to read. Among the delightful Montessori tools my mother left to me are the language activities the Engineer and I worked with yesterday.
We began with a Phonetic Objects Box.
The child sees the objects and some labels in the box. The idea is for the child to match the object to the correct label.
These are a fun activities to do when a child is practicing letter sounds. The Engineer breezed through Box 1
and Box 2, and I regretted not bringing them out last year when it would have been more of a challenge for him.
Next we moved on to the Compound Word Objects box.
Two minutes later he had the objects next to their labels.
We did begin to have some new learning with the Opposites Box. A few of the words were new to the Engineer's vocabulary.
We worked it out together. I'm very curious to see just how much easier this exercise will be for him next time.
The lessons concluded with another Compound Words activity. This lesson uses little tags with words on them. Some tags have words printed on the left edge, and some tags are printed with the words on the right.
The idea is for the child to create compound words. He was so proud of himself for finding all the compound words.
Next we moved on to the Compound Word Objects box.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Dear Engineer,
I am so proud of you for being able to read and work with words. You are becoming a big boy!
Love,
Daddy
Wow, that's a great idea. I should try this when Lillian learns next fall.
Can I send my kids to Camp Homestead this summer? This is the sort of thing I used to do with the oldest, but now I'm tired and the younger two must suffer on with a crabby mom who doesn't have a drop of creativity left.
*pretending to be snobbish:*
When I was little, *I* got Cheerios and chocolate chips for getting things like those right.
It's a pity my mom's leaving off homeschooling. If/Whenever I have kids, I might have to get her out of retirement as happen to our dear friend Mrs. K the Elder. :D
Dear Darth,
I bet you loved playing those games! Sometimes good incentives make good learners.
Post a Comment