Happy Ascension Day!
It seems this holy day is nearly forgotten these days. I know there will be low attendance at my church tonight. But it is difficult to brave that particular neighborhood most days.
The celebration is venerated through some beautiful art works including this Greek Orthodox icon. (Click the link for discussion of all the interesting details and close up views!)

And this by Hans Suess von Kulmbach, (a contemporary of Luther's). This perspective always makes me chuckle to myself.


6 comments:
Aah! Can you believe that I forgot this? There was a special service at our church and I missed it. This is very bad of me, I was too concerned with doing my hanging baskets...
And, it's one of the great feasts aka potlucks for Lutherans.
I'm but a stranger here; Heaven is my home.~Arthur Sullivan
Beautiful feet!
I think "Ascencion" is a lovely name for a girl--I've heard it before in Latin countries.
Lovely art! We were interested to see that the bulk food store that we were at Wednesday in Mennonite country had a sign saying "Closed Thursday for Ascension Day."
The second picture reminded me of the verse from A Hymn of Glory written by the Venerable Bede "Why stand and gaze upon the sky? Alleluia! Alleluia! This is the Savior" thus they say, "This is His noble triumph day"
Beautiful paintings! The second made me smile too. :)
Post a Comment