Monday, May 07, 2007

Ballet

Yesterday was special. Thanks to my dear brother I received two tickets to a performance by the Royal Youth Ballet Company. The Artist and I attended and had a lovely afternoon.Being something of a ballet snob (due to my years of training and indoctrination in classical Russian technique!), I watched the opening number with a critical eye.

"Hey," I thought to myself, "These girls know how to hold their hands and arms." My thoughts continued, "I'm noticing great stage presence. These girls spot perfectly and every pointed toe is an extension of a line, no floppy feet or sloppy technique."

I was captivated. At the first intermission I read in the program that the artistic director, Joanne Hughes Morscher, had trained and performed with the same company as me. No wonder I felt so at home!!! -- almost like I was living the performance.

As it happened, during the second intermission I discovered I was sitting right behind a woman who also danced in the same ballet company as me. She had come to see her friend's dancers perform. We got to catch up a little after the show and went together to talk with Dr. Morscher.

To top off the afternoon I was treated to excerpts of the ballet Napoli, one I had never seen before.

Thank you, Gene!

2 comments:

Gina said...

What a great afternoon. I'm a bit of a ballet snob as well, and I'm always delighted when a company makes me eat some "crow".

Babette said...

Moments big as years!

Balletomanes never die; they just step away.