Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Waiting Room Knitting

Sunday afternoon and evening we kept a careful eye on the Engineer and tried to alleviate the symptoms of his cold, but unfortunately his condition did deteriorate into an asthma attack. For us that meant a trip to the local Emergency Room.

Such a trip means lots of sitting around waiting for various medical professionals and tests, etc. I packed a backpack of books for the Engineer, but I could not imagine taking my current knitting project along. I am trying to follow the directions for adding the first sleeve to a yoke sweater knit on a circular needle, so I find myself consulting the instructions frequently.

Neither could I imagine going without knitting! I ended up throwing a pair of US 6 needles a scissor and some worsted cotton into a sack to tote along. Now I could relax, as much as possible, under the circumstances.

The Engineer has been through this drill before, and he was quite a trooper. He answered every professional's "How are you?" with a weak and listless "Very good," until he had some treatments that really did help him look and feel better. Then they no longer asked.

In between health care professionals visits I was able to knit up a dish cloth. I don't know if this is a pattern I have seen somewhere before or not. I didn't bring a pattern with me and I have not made a dish cloth like this before.

The 3 x 3 stitch checkerboard pattern of knit and purl blocks separated by three rows of garter stitch just formed itself the needles. I think it will be resilient. Addendum: Well, what do you know! I just took a peek at Jenny Wren's and saw that she is working on something very similar, the same pattern minus the garter stitch ridges between the rows of checkerboard. I'm tickled by the coincidence.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Snap! Isn't that funny.

Lotzastitches said...

Good choice on projects! I love throwing in a few cloths here and there. Fun to experiment with different stitch patterns.

On the asthma...
I hestitate to be so forward but I'd recommend the author F. Batmanghelidj, M.D.. One of the moms at our church read one of his books and has seen positive results with her 5-ish yo son's asthma. He's the same little guy that Susan spoke of on her blog in the post about kids in Bible class.

Here's a link to Dr. Batman's asthma book:
http://tinyurl.com/29zn7y

I've got that one (and another of his) checked out from our library currently. I own two other books of his... one is on loan out to my mil.

hakucho said...

I always take my knitting with me where ever I go...it really makes the time pass faster if you have something to do and the bonus is it relaxes me especially on those ER visits :)
Hope your son is feeling much better by now!
I like your cloth very much...worked up pretty in the variegated yarn...it's somewhat similar to the basket weave I did a few weeks ago!
happy knitting :)