Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Olbas Oil

Gina asked me about Olbas oil. I learned about it a few months ago from the massage therapist at a local full service salon. The members of my thoughtful extended family all gave me gift certificates to the same salon for my birthday last year. I was able to use them to get a massage a month for four months. I tried some new things, aroma therapy, hot stone, and stretching. I'm thoroughly addicted to the stretching now, but I didn't find the hot stone worth the cost.

Olbas oil is a product of Switzerland containing a mix of six essential oils; peppermint, eucalyptus, cajeput, wintergreen, juniper and clove. I don't think I'd care for some of these on their own, but mixed in this formula they are wonderful. It has a penetrating, rather menthol-like scent, slightly tempered by the more earthy oils in the mix.

The masseuse uses it for facial massages where it yields a much more relaxing effect than an unscented oil.
I like to use it to soothe sore muscles (especially my sore neck and back) and I love the way it eases the discomfort of headaches. I put it on my temples and forehead when I feel the pain coming on.

After a recent amusement park injury, I used it in combination with Icy Hot to relax my sore neck. I won't be riding any roller coasters for a long time, if ever again!

The packaging claims the product provides "instant relief for colds, flu and allergies". I know it helps clear the airway so I can see how it would make breathing easier, but I'm not sure how else it would help with a flu.

The masseuse told me she also flicks a few drops into the air vents in her car. That sounds appealing to me, especially when the air conditioning is on, but I'll abstain as I don't believe Rick would appreciate that too much.

5 comments:

Babette said...

I had a massage today at our local Korean bathhouse. I love the packaging of the Olbas!

Good for you for taking care of yourself!

Gina said...

I will have to hunt this down. Thanks for the tips on using it. I think the notion of a facial massage with it is perfect! I also like the idea of adding a few drops to take away that AC-musty smell in the car vents.

Anonymous said...

I once got detention for selling sheets of tissue dipped in Olbas oil to my school mates. They loved the smell. I sold it for 2p a sheet and caused a playtime fad. I was 9 or 10 at the time, I love Olbas oil but I can't help but feel a little shamefaced about the detention.

Genuine Lustre said...

OOooo lucky you!
Is this like the adult version of Vicks? : P

Amusement park injury? Hope you didn't have your feet severed at the ankles.

Marie N. said...

Hi Isabella,
That is a funny story now that you can look back on it and laugh. I'll have to try putting the oil on tissues!

Hi Polly, This is 10 times better than Vicks, smells nicer, penetrates well...

I jostled my neck too much on a roller coaster, not bad enough to be whiplash, but badly enough that neckrubs and oils took over a week to make it go away. The Artist had a great time though!