I found a list of all the books I borrowed from the library and a web site I referred to over the course of my daughter's first grade science classes. I even made notes about which books I didn't particularly like, which I really liked, and which were good, but too detailed for the grade level.
Right now, I'm going through my plans for the upcoming year and ordering materials, and thinking about how to organize the day and the schedules. I am also reorganizing many of the books in our personal library so that the books and biographies about the ancient time period are in the school room and last year's books and biographies from the modern era are relocated to the cluttered room in the basement that masquerades as my "office."
I'm constantly fighting the battle of not planning too much.
The next step will be to buy some school supplies. We have many things already, but paper is always needed. This year the Artist will have a daily calendar and schedule book to help her keep on track as she will be doing more of her work than ever on her own.
Developing the skill and discipline to plan her day and stick to her plan will be a big part of school for her. With her personality, I think it will take a lot of adjustments, but we will work with it, knowing it will be good for her in the end.
So much for next year, now it is summer. The Artist is reading Under the Lilacs by Louisa May Alcott.
I am reading The American Home Front 1941-1942 by good old Alistair Cooke. Who didn't see myriad reels of history films in high school, all narrated by Alistair Cooke? Who never say him introduce and critique tonight's episode of Masterpiece Theatre?
And the Engineer is going through a grade one ultimate skill builder workbook given him by grandma. I see one skill we need to work on is completing more than one answer on each page.
And when we get tired of reading (insert big belly laugh here) we have a puzzle waiting for us on the porch.


1 comment:
I also bought a schedule book for the girls this year. I think we will begin each day by entering what we hope to accomplish that day. My goal is that this year they will "look in the book". At the end of the day, I plan to check off the things we accomplished for that day. Hopefully, this will be the doggy-paddle training they need to swim on their own next year.
Post a Comment