Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Silent Night

When our family was for so long without a PC our German lessons with the DVD program were not available to us.

I looked at the library for some materials to fill the void and keep us all from becoming rusty with our infant skills. No luck.

I remembered some while ago Lene at Dances With Wool recommended a movie called Mostly Martha, and the dialog was all in German in that film. At the time I borrowed it and enjoyed it. Now I have it on loan again for the family to watch. It will be good for us to hear the dialog as we are getting back into our lessons.I searched for some other movies that might have German dialog at my library too. I did not come up with much. I think there were two or three movies I could discount as inappropriate. Then I took a chance and ordered Silent Night. I enjoyed it, but most of the dialog was in English after all. So we probably will not see it again as a family. Some parts might be a little scary for my 10 year old anyway. The story was well done and it made my evening's knitting speed by. Until I needed to put my needles down and wipe my tears at a touching moment that is.

As I wrote about Mostly Martha above I was reminded that the story has been re-done and is coming out any day now in US cinemas under the name No Reservations. Somehow I have a feeling it will not measure up to the original. I don't plan to see it to find out.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I adored Mostly Martha, and I am skeptical about the American version as well. Although I do love Aaron Eckhart!