Friday, January 05, 2007

Back to School

Finally! I thought we would be doing this on Tuesday, but it was not to be.

The Artist still has the remains of her cold, but her fever has broken and she was well enough to keep her dental appt. this morning. That means she is well enough to get back into the swing of school days. Being that today is Friday, she is easing in, indeed!
On top of the easy (for her) school week, she had the obligatory math lesson covering volume estimation today. This is one lesson I dread because of the mess potential and the little brother wanting to "help" his big sister.

So over the early part of the week I assembled containers of various volumes. Today the Artist is filling, pouring, measuring, funneling and mumbling measurements all over the kitchen. Then she traipses into the dining room to record her findings. As I post, the carpet, the brother, nor the record book are wet!
Even this fun and easy math lesson has brought out the tears. After explaining countless times the pronunciation difference between estimate (the noun) and estimate (the verb) it still has not sunk in. Interestingly, when she is speaking she has no problem with the distinctions, the problem is only manifest in reading.

My attitude is being tested too. I thought we had covered this sufficiently in a science lesson last month. I was wrong! At first I corrected and explained. Then I corrected. Then I told her read the sentence again correctly (without providing the correction to her). Then the tears came. So I take a deep breath and I explained again and compared the word to progress (the noun) and progress (the verb) and project (the noun) and project (the verb).

I think I'll reject (the verb) today's English lesson. Finishing a book report can wait until Monday. She (maybe that ought to be 'we') is frustrated enough with languages for today!

5 comments:

Gina said...

Oh my! You are so patient. I am the worst teacher...ever. I get impatient and snarky. Not good for kids (or adults, for that matter).

Anonymous said...

:o) marie,
i remember hitting my head against a brick wall with my first one or two kiddos.. especially with things like telling the time on an analogue clock, tying shoelaces etc.. because i thought they *should* be ready for that concept when actually.. they weren't until about six months later or whatever.
for me, in hindsight i've realised that they'll get it (and more) when they're ready, and i just need to keep *myself* from stressing out and just trust my super-intelligent-kids' (*grin*) individual development.

charlotte mason helped me to see this: especially with things like formal written language: now i just keep wonderful literature ("living books" are great or just anything they're interested in) going in until the child is about 9 - 12 years when all of a sudden *wham* a whole lot of wonderful written language come pouring out of them. cos i find that written book reports etc at a young age can "kill" the enjoyment factor and love of learning. charlotte suggests using "oral narration" with the pre-nine to twelves (just talking about the book/characters/concepts as the child reads.. perhaps you could jot down a few notes as you go, if you like to keep formal notes on their education journey).

i do try to be careful with my children's tears. sometimes it's hard to determine whether they're caused by poor attitude or frustration at not being ready for a concept. i usually assume the latter and sit with the child, talking about it.. doing the writing/filling in the math answer for them (they tell me the answer lol). or put the concept away until a later date when i see signs of the child's readiness.

i do say all this gently and i totally feel your frustration. and what works for me and mine may not be your cuppa tea (*wink*)

WOOHOO... we have another month in the sun before i make *school* noises again !!!!!
mwah

Marie N. said...

Hi Kate,

I think these tears were fruit of frustration. She knows the correct words to use, but she kept reading them incorrectly, over and over and over again. Poor girl kept reading "Lie'- ter" for litre too.

Presbytera said...

I also was explaining things again to the girls this week. Christmas break sort of swept much knowledge out of their noggins!

Anonymous said...

My experiences support Kate's wise words. Prayers for continued homeschooling wisdom and patience!

Your sweater (below) is lovely and you are a living doll, Marie! I am enjoying putting a face on your pennings.