Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Inside the Big Box: Hats

What wonderful treasures I have found inside this box!

These hats belonged to my grandmother. Some are destined to become dress up toys, some will move into my closet with the hats I wear and some are such fine specimens of hat history I'll keep them to admire and enjoy. I wish I could hear the stories that go with each one. Were any of these purchased for special occasions? Were any gifts to my grandmother? Did my grandmother inherit any of these from her mother? Were any of them part of Mardi Gras or dance recital costumes? (There is a strong suspect in the costume category.)

This green veiled hat is in almost perfect condition. Being that it is perfectly round, I am not sure it suits me. The fur hat is velvet on the crown. It is in perfect condition and it is a good fit. I love the color. The pink hat is also in great shape. I don't think I'll ever put anything pink on my head. If the Artist likes this one she may have it. If not, it can be the pink lady in my collection. I like the off center brim.

Here is a navy blue straw hat with a decorative ribbon around the crown and patterned weaving on the brim. I have an outfit this will compliment. There is also a tulle had with turquoise sequins and a pale turquoise veil. This is one of those I can't imagine wearing but I love it for the fashion history. The label says it is union made for Sears. And finally, an off white hat made of wire and ribbon. It was beautiful in its day, but it is so badly damaged I cannot make out how to fix it. It will be a toy until it is unusable. Next I have a very chic black and purple satin brocade crown hat with black Russian veiling and black velour butterflies affixed to the netting. I have a size two skirt I wore to a dance in high school that would go beautifully. Alas, size two was 20+ years ago! I think this one is another for my millinery collection. It is in good shape but the butterflies would benefit from re-blocking. Also pictured are a round black straw hat. It is in great shape, the ribbon just needs a little work. And a Persian lamb wedge hat. Hooray! It fits!
Here is a hat I think must have been part of a costume. It is a green velour crown with pearl beads sewn on. The veil is about a foot long all around and it is a very fine mesh, not the pretty diamond pattern of Russian veiling. It was a roughly cut square before it was attached to the crown. (Perhaps "hacked" is a better word; "roughly cut" seems generous). There are also pearl beads sewn onto the veil. A hair comb is also sewn onto the inside of the crown. The rough quality makes me think this one was part of a dance recital or Mardi Gras costume. In any event, it seems to be holding the best stories secret. The other two hats are almost identical, with big flowers all over the surface. The ecru one looks like it has yellowed with age. It has an ecru ribbon. The white one has also yellowed with age. It is sporting the green ribbon. I'll keep the white one in my collection and the others can be dress-up toys. I also found a charge slip inside the box. It does not have a date so I cannot figure out which hats it accompanied. I noted that the charge slip is written up in pencil. The charge plate shows an address I remember visiting in New Orleans. And most of all I noticed that the cost of two new hats is $8.90 including the 3% sales tax!
On Sunday I could not resist wearing one of these to church. I had previously been the recipient of a very generous gift - this Persian lamb swing coat. The Persian lamb wedge hat was a perfect match.

3 comments:

Presbytera said...

I will not envy my neighbor's hats, I will not envy, I will NOT envy......

Beautiful hats! Such finds. I hope the purple hat with the butterflies is redeemable. I look forward to seeing you in those smart new hats.

You did look lovely Sunday in your lamb's wool.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous hats, you lucky thing. And the hat looks lovely on you with the coat.

Genuine Lustre said...

wow - like Christmas again!

I have a sales slip for a corset my grandma bought - a pink one for $13.00. A recipe is on the back.