Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Reincarnation?

I hope so! For these sweaters I bought at Good Will anyway. I'd like to give the pink one a new life as a sweater for The Artist. I have just begun ripping the seams, being careful not to damage the yarn. I'm hoping this adult size medium garment will give me pleanty of yarn for a child's winter sweater. The yarn is 55% cotton 42% acylic with spandex and the imfamous 'Other Materials' making up the remainder. If it works, this will be $4 well spent! It looks like the yarn weight on the body of the sweater is a little thicker (worsted weight perhaps?) than the weight used on the sleeves and the collar. I don't mind working with that challenge.After all this hand winding, my fingers are tired. One sleeve left to go.

The straw colored pullover shown above is hopefully destined for another life as a short sleeve summer pullover for me. It is the only garment I could find made of one solid color ribbon yarn in the store. In this case, I'd like to reinvent the meduim-size long sleeve garment into a medium short sleeve one. This will probably be a closer call with the yarn. The pattern I'm thinking of has some cables in it and they tend to gobble up yards of yarn. At $5.50 I thought the price was pretty steep for Good Will. But when I thought about how futile my search for a ribbon yarn I'd like to use and didn't mind paying for has been so far, the price did not seem so bad. The ribbon yarn is 53% acrylic, 35% nylon, and 12% wool.

If it all works out I will have spent less than $10 on yarn for two sweaters. Not bad!

1 comment:

Kirken said...

That sounds like an awesome deal. I sometimes wish that I had time to knit or crochet but right now there is no time. Plus it had been so long since I have done both that I don't seem to remember exactly how to do it. Plus being left handed causes some problem. My Noni (great grandma) had taught me but with her eyesight almost gone it would be hard for her. Mom being a lefty too taught me to crochet but I didn't know much for stitches. I was hoping to get her to show me how before we moved for DH to start university and seminary but I am busy with classes of my own and then we will be to far away for her to show me. One day I will learn again. :-)